Site Model Contours - Changing the VWX elevation values to real world values due to model relocation to 0 z elevation

I typically build my site models based off of data that is geolocated.  This is great for displaying the actual contour elevation values as they relate to the real world.

However...

I have to relocated my model from its actual 3D position ( 2700' above sea level and miles away from the orgin on X & Y) to the internal origin (0,0,0) to import into Twinmotion.

This changes all the contour elevation labels to being distance from z=0 and is undesired.

Is there a way to change the way VWX starts generating the contour label values?

In my example, I'm looking for a way to tell VWX to change a contour it thinks is at say 100' to 2800' so as to preserve the automatic labeling once changes are made.

I've dug through the help menu and have not found a way to do this.

thanks,
Jeff

THERE IS A SOLUTION TO THIS PROBLEM IN A SUBSEQUENT MESSAGE...

Edited by jeff prince
updated with solution

I wonder if exporting a design layer viewport of your model instead of exporting the actual model into twinmotion would work? The DLVP could be moved to 0,0,0 and all contour labels would stay the same.

I don't know if DLVP's export with twinmotion but might be worth a try.

1 hour ago, P Retondo said:

Not sure if this works in both directions.  If you move your model down using 3D move command, and increase the "Start contour offset" field in the General tab of the Site Model Settings dialog box, you can preserve the contour elevation labels.

@P Retondo I'm not seeing that happen.  "Start Contour Offset" just changes which contours get highlighted as a major, makes no change to the value of the contour label...

I separated the house and the site into different files.

Put the house at FF=0.0

Left the site model in its real world location.

Referenced the site into the house.

Moved the site reference in the house file to the desired location.

BOOM, contours read correct.

You can interact with the site geometry in the site file using real world coordinates and elevations.

You can interact with the house geometry in the house file using elevations relative to FF.

Of course it shredded the house's walls when I changed the layer elevation to 0 instead of it's realworld elevation, but that can be resolved.

Now to import into Twinmotion, fingers crossed

• Like 2

Well, I guess the past several days have not been completely wasted, though it certainly feel that way...

While it hasn't been fully tested, the above described workflow drops the VWX models into Twinmotion while maintaining my real world positioning on the VWX site model.  I think this is an important discovery, as many people have this problem in TM.

I suppose it could be taken a step further by creating a special empty drawing especially for exporting to Twinmotion where all the various VWX model files are referenced into it and no actual work takes place in it other than moving the references around to get them in a Twinmotion friendly location, essentially 0,0,0 in absolute coordinates for the center of the models.  This would keep me from having to fix a few of the walls that did not like being moved 2732.5' in elevation 🙂

Case closed perhaps 🙂

1474088760_ScreenShot2020-07-06at9_26_25PM.thumb.png.a23cc25572fefdfdf3cfcb1f0df72c5f.png

• Like 4