animation with VW, QT and iMovie

It really comes down to determining in advance which standard you plan to use to present your video stream. NTSC, PAL, HDTV, WWW, DVD, CD and which one of the many 'video compressors' such as H263 is best suited to your purposes. The video standard determines your DPI & Frame rate which in turn determine the file size and speed required for your I/O/Bus/Processor/RAM/Harddrive.

It's both an art and a science to arrive at an optimum production set-up. Then the fun begins when trying to get the rest of the world to view your work product via CD/DVD/WWW.

All digital images require some form of compression and QT is fundamentally streaming compression algorithms for image databases. The use of key frames is fundamental to clarity and smooth play back. Too many keys and the stream becomes unstable ... to few and the stream looks sloppy. Keep in mind that the eye's blink rate is approx 30x / sec. so a frame rate of 30 fps is usually considered max. but often 22 or 15 fps will suffice.

Recall Jurassic Park and those awesome dino running scenes. Most of the images were just degrees of blurs while the rest were static keys ( view the DVD with stop action ).

So , the best you can do is produce what your hardware will allow. But the trick is faking as much as possible to avoid stressing your systems limits unnecessarily. Hope this helps ; )

I often make 3D VW models (houses), then export a Quicktime animation (usually an exterior "orbit"). I have never been able to solve this problem: if I use QT pro to piece together different clips, I have much trouble with different size movies (pixel width x height) and different frame rates and compressors, but the biggest problem is that I can't generate a QT movie that is detailed and yet big enough to show on a projector or TV. The reason is that my computer (or any computer) can't play the bigger movies at full size smoothly.... it gets choppy and misses frames. I am trying iMoive to change it to digital video and that solves the speed problem, but the images/movies from iMovie lose resolution and generally look bad. I've been experimenting for a long time, and never found the choice of QT compressors to solve this. Please don't tell me to make sure I'm not looking at the iMovie "preview" pane ... that is what everyone has suggested. I love iMovie but can't get it to make my VW models look good. Any suggestions?

(I used both VW 11 Windows and VW 10 Mac OS 10.3.8 and use iMovie HD ... the HD part doesn't make any difference from the preivous older versions)