Hatches and Textures applied to walls do not show in viewport.

I have created a model for architectural drawings. I am trying to apply a texture to the walls so that, in the elevations, the building appears to have siding. I watched a video and did some research and found that I can apply textures to the walls by assigning them in the class and also by dragging and dropping them on the wall. However, I do this and no textures show up on my model. Actually, I have gotten the texture to work on the roof, but not on the walls. At one point, something that I did worked and there is now a siding hatch that I don't particularly like on a few walls, but I can't seem to change it to the siding that I like. Also, when I render it in Open GL, the wall siding doesn't show up either. How do I get this to work?

Screen Shot 2020-06-25 at 9.41.42 AM.png

Hidden line renders do not show textures however you can edit textures to include a hatch pattern in their definition so that in hidden line renders the hatch will show wherever the texture is applied.

This is what is happening with your roof and siding which are showing a hatch.

So, in the resource manager if you find the roof or siding textures and right click edit, bottom left of the dialogue there is an edit hatch button, Here you can select a hatch to associate with the texture and also set the scale of the hatch ( if world based) to match the scale of your texture.

To see the actual textures ( not hatches)   On your model you need to use OpenGL render 

Edited by Boh

Thanks for responding. I have chosen textures that also have a hatch in my wall class. The hatch on the walls do not correspond to the hatch I chose for the walls in the class. I have tried to change the texture/hatch attached to the wall class. Nothing changes. All of the walls are on the same class, yet some of the walls have a hatch that does not correspond to the texture/hatch and some are blank. As stated above, I have rendered the model in Open GL (I did not show a picture) and the textures do not show up in open GL.

Classes can have both hatches and textures associated with them. In addition a texture can have a hatch associated with it.

If an object has its texture defined by class then the hatch pattern you see in hidden line renders will be due to the hatch associated with the class texture, not the hatch associated with the class.

A class hatch can be completely different to the hatch associated with the same classes texture. 

A class hatch is for top/plan views, it is not visible in any 3D views.

A class texture is for 3D views and for hidden line renders the hatch associated with the texture is visible rather than the texture itself.

So changing the class hatch is not going to change the hatch you see in hidden line. You need to change the hatch associated with the class texture.

Find out what the class texture is then edit that as posted previously. 

• Like 1

Thanks, Boo, for such a detailed response. Hopefully, you'll be patient enough to respond again. I realize that the hatch associated with the class will show only in the plan. I am just a little frustrated that no matter what texture (associated with a hatch) I assign to the wall does not show up on the wall. I just changed the texture and associated hatch again to a 3.5" siding and yet, the hatch on the walls did not change. It did not change in hidden render nor did it change in OpenGL. Here are some screen shots to show what the class looks like and what my model looks like.  What am I missing?

Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 6.39.05 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 6.35.18 PM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-26 at 6.34.47 PM.png

Hey Kristin.

For walls and I think roofs as well there is an added complication...

Walls with components (and roofs with components too I think but I will just talk about walls) can have their textures defined either by component or by object.

If by component you need to see what textures are set in the wall components. Components can have their own set of graphic attributes and classes. 

So I suspect your walls (&roofs) have their textures set by component so you either find out what textures the components are using or you change the wall to use textures by object, in which case Components are ignored for textures and you can set different textures to top, bottom, ends and sides of the walls. Have a look at the render tab of the object info palette when you have a wall selected.

If you set textures by object and also by class then the wall will take on the texture of the class the wall is placed in.

If you set textures by component then textures you can’t apply textures to the wall directly , you need to edit the wall component textures.

I did a similar post on this here. You may find the whole thread interesting but scroll to May 16 for discussion on object and component textures.

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Since you are so knowledgeable, Boh, I have a question. Still working on elevation. Is there any way to apply a grey to a model other than in annotations. Specifically, I am trying to change the glazing to grey. My firm likes grey windows. I have been able to apply a texture to the glazing layer which then shows a hatch, but I haven't been able to shade them grey. I have attached an elevation where I changed the window to grey by drawing a black rectangle in annotations and changing the opacity. I have tried changing the class opacity of the glazing class (within the class) but I keep coming out with black windows.

Screen Shot 2020-09-03 at 12.08.55 PM.png

Hi Kristin

Hidden line renders don’t use Colour solid fills (incl grey). Neither do the respond to changing opacity.

If you really want to model Grey windows you could a second viewport In OpenGL render under the hidden line render vp.

That can be more work than it’s worth. I just do what you did and colour the windows in annotations (except I like blue!).

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...
On 6/26/2020 at 7:23 PM, Boh said:

In addition a texture can have a hatch associated with it

Is it possible to show the hatch in the rendered view along with the texture?  I am trying to show 4x8 sheets of cement board panel so I am using a color texture and made a 4x8 grid hatch to go with the wall type.  The hatch shows in hidden line but not render mode.  I would like to see the hatch in the rendered views.  Is this possible?

Rendered view.png

Hidden line view.png

Yes it is. Set the Foreground Render in the VP to Hidden Line.

Alternatively, you could create a texture that incorporates vertical lines + dispense with the HL overlay. Either create a simple procedural texture (choose Tiles as color shader + select Lines) or edit your existing concrete texture in photo edit software + add a line.

3 hours ago, jmhanby said:

Another question about this. Is it possible to shut the hidden lines off of just the topo surface material?  Not liking the mesh showing in the grass and gravel.

I think you can do this by setting the graphic attributes of the 3D triangles inside the DTM to use zero lineweight. Alternatively, to just hide the lines in sheet layer viewport views, then set the 3D triangles to use their class attributes and then in the viewport apply a class override so that class has zero lineweight just in that view. (The 3d triangles have to be using class attributes for lineweight for this to work). I think that the 3D triangles are set to the site model class by default so you may want to set them to their own class.

image.png.79aa7cced488f4b423294fe30a51eff7.png

• Like 1