Customizing Title blocks VW12

According to the Books and Help it would appear that one could create a very custom title block, place it into the title blocks folder - either into an existing file there (e.g. Custom Title Blocks) or a file which you create. [smile]

Then, when you create a new file and setup the sheets - you reference your custom title block instead of the VW canned TBs.

This seems to work. Until you try to use the issue manager. The result one gets is an error message which states: [Eek!]

"There are differing title borders in this file. Issue manager cannot work under these conditions."

What is my problem? [Confused]

Does the file contain a drawing border with a different title block than the custom title block? How about a drawing border with no title block? Either one of these conditions will produce the error you are seeing.

Tom Urie

Nemetschek, N.A.

I have been working my way thru this issue. The way VW now handles this stuff is not as simple as previous. I have had to take my custom titleblocks and relink the text to the new type records formats: like "P_Sheet Title ". Then they will work for the most part. What really needs to be fixed is that you can not have more than one type of title block in the drawing, even if it has the exact same record format attached to it. You will get that error message that you listed. I know there is more to this that I will need to say - but I have been working on it for 8 straight hour and I am a bit fried. I will add more as I come upon it.

One other thing - VW11 titleblocks work fine with Issue Manager in 12, if it is in a converted file. Insert that same VW11 titleblock in a drawing and run Issue Manager, everything works fine. Then try to create a new file, using that exact same Titleblock that was originally created in VW11, as the basis for the sets and Issue Manager will not work with it. Confused? You bet!

Tom- I emailed tech support today requesting a call about this issue from someone at NNA who is knowledgeable on the Issue Manager and Titleblock interface. Would you be the person I can talk with? If so, email me your contact info and I will give you a call. If not, let me know who I can talk to.

Thanks.

[ 01-19-2006, 06:38 PM: Message edited by: rcarch ]

Rich,

There is a known problem with Issue Manager and custom title blocks that will be fixed in the 12.0.1 release. Issue Manager was designed to work with one title block, but using different title blocks with the same record could certainly be viewed as a "bug" and I will enter it into the bug list.

I don't know who in tech support will handle your requst, but I am curious, also, as to why a title block that works in a converted drawing doesn't work in a new file with that title block as the basis. Did you send them a sample file?

Tom Urie

Nemetschek, N.A.

rcarch - I empathize - I have too many hours in it myself.

Tom Urie - Can I send a sample file with the title block I am trying to move into VW -12.

By the way - I can use the manager in several files which are converted to VW12. My biggest problem is when I try to move my preferred custom title block and border to become a choice in VW 12.

Modifying the VW sample border TBs - these are way more complex and in tiny print than my border. Also I would like rounded corenrs on my overall border line not square.

Finally I want to change the orientation of the issue dates and be able to edit issue dates as well. Currently the V12 feature for this severly limits my sheet placement and displays over the title block on my sheet making a mess.

I have need to reuse old proejcts to build new projects for the same buildings and clients. For each new project in the saqme building I need to be able to restart the issue log from zero. currently I cannot do this and either must move all the building components to a new file or tediously and meticulously track changes the way we did in the Pre-CAD "good old days".