Always different number of pixels when rendering

herbieherb

Question

I made a somewhat strange discovery while developing my ExportImages script. It's that Vectorworks always produces differently sized images when rendering raster images. Most of the time, this only makes up a few pixels. But I still wonder why this is the case and if it can be prevented. For certain images, a pixel-exact export is necessary, if no changes should be visible during later layouts, e.g. in Indesign.

Here's the thread where we found the issue:

Edited by herbieherb
  • Like 3

8 answers to this question

For clarity, I think there are two distinct issues:

1. Viewports often render pixels slightly different from one rendering pass to another, particularly around the perimeter of the viewport where the rendered pixels are offset slightly and inconsistently from the viewport's crop.
  2. Exporting the rendered pixels of a viewport is messy (i.e. impossible) as described in the thread linked above.
  • Like 1
6 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

For clarity, I think there are two distinct issues:

1. Viewports often render pixels slightly different from one rendering pass to another, particularly around the perimeter of the viewport where the rendered pixels are offset slightly and inconsistently from the viewport's crop.

I've a feeling (would need to double check) that it's not just the pixels that change but somehow the underlying image will be very slightly compressed or stretched in the X or Y direction. In other words, you can't even resolve it by cropping the troublesome perimeter area out of the resultant bitmap.

I don't suppose there's been any progress on this in the meantime?

My workaround had been to re-render a bunch of viewports in one pass, if i needed them all to match pixel-for-pixel.

However VW seems to have a new behaviour where it will now sometimes freak out and crash if I ask it to render multiple viewports in one go.

• Like 1