Developer Wiki and Function Reference Links ×

Attaching room numbers and names to polygons and Spaces

Hi,

I regularly receive architects base files with polygons and separate text elements for room numbers and names. I want to extract these and create Vectoroworks Space objects with the same number and name fields.

It looks like it should be easy for Marionette to do this, it just isn't easy for me to configure Marionette! Has anyone else had a similar requirement (and solved it) I wonder?

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

What you are talking about is the same idea as this file. This takes loci and nearby text taken from a survey and converts them to the Existing Tree PIO. It could be adapted to the Space object. Because the Space is a path-based object (each Space shape is potentially unique, based on a path), you would have to adjust the script a little.

• Like 2
  • 3 years later...
On 6/23/2020 at 8:53 AM, sbarrett said:

Hello:

About your post. Really I want learn about Marionette, but now I must make a workflow very hard.

A reference Architecture 2D project has polys showing spaces. Then I need create spaces from this polys, but adding the text as the name of the space.

Your algorithm menage the tree name grouping the text and circles.

But how convert this to spaces insted?

On 6/23/2020 at 8:53 AM, sbarrett said:

Screenshot 2023-12-20 at 10.32.09.png

Francisco. Sorry no immediate answer for you. However, my experimenting with chatGPT means you can get it to write most of a Vectorworks script for you to do what you want.

Be aware It is unlikely to work at first attempt, but if you are very specific about your Vectorworks requirements, then it will write the outline of a script for you to adjust to your requirements. To be honest I have not had time to get to a final successful result yet, but at least I now have the format of the script ready to tweak to my own requirements. Hope this helps.

2 hours ago, Marc Davies said:

Francisco. Sorry no immediate answer for you. However, my experimenting with chatGPT means you can get it to write most of a Vectorworks script for you to do what you want.

Be very careful w/ chatGPT writing VS.  I have tried it and found that chatGPT often hallucinates functions that don't exist.  If you want it to do something super simple - like draw a rectangle of a given size - it can do it, but often in a bizarre, verbose way.  

I'm sure it will get better in a year or two and we will all be writing fabulous scripts 🙂.

• Like 1