Mac Silicon OS and VW

22 hours ago, zoomer said:

Looks like Vectorworks 2022 can quit normally again !

(and even faster than ever !?)

If it quits that fast, are you really sure it is not actually crashing? 😁

But more serious now, it is not a good thing if the OS programmers manage to screw up basic things this way. Not just Apple, Microsoft has a history of bad updates causing issues with basic things or even wrecking PC's too. It seems quality control in software is now considered a cost instead as an investment.

I used Apple computers long time ago, during the 1990's, until I switched to Windows in 1999. The one thing that bothers me about current Mac OS and prevents me from returning is its (seemingly) lack of backwards compatibility with older software i.e. the OS changes in such ways that it breaks software's compatibility with the OS more often than I like to deal with.

• Like 1
50 minutes ago, Art V said:

If it quits that fast, are you really sure it is not actually crashing? 😁

I am sure that it is not crashing 🙂

But not sure if it closes really faster.

The first try I was just looking if I can quit VW normally again and was

surprised that VW Icon in Dock 

was deactivated faster than i expected.

But if I try again now it feels pretty nomal, maybe closes a bit faster.

(Our other CAD still closes nearly in realtime.

But it, or better the ACIS core, with lots of Solids threadded multi-threaded

junks, can be quite problematic or lagging freeing RAM when closing Files too) 

56 minutes ago, Art V said:

until I switched to Windows in 1999.

Yes, I am also pretty excited what will happen after a Win11 upgrade.

For me macOS started to degrade cascading after 2012 when they started

to synchronize macOS to iOS, for whatever reason if melting both together

isn't their goal.

Both in feature offers, quality and reliability.

Since Big Sur it got better, but mostly just based on Apples commitments.

Backwards compatibility was not such an issue for me,

I lost a lot of legacy Apps and Hardware just because I always wanted

and was excited to get the shiniest and newest .... as soon as possible.

(for Hardware, OS and Apps)

I even do hesitate to deactivate the macOS Public Beta status for my

machines after final OS release.

6 hours ago, Art V said:

I used Apple computers long time ago, during the 1990's, until I switched to Windows in 1999. The one thing that bothers me about current Mac OS and prevents me from returning is its (seemingly) lack of backwards compatibility with older software i.e. the OS changes in such ways that it breaks software's compatibility with the OS more often than I like to deal with.

I'm hopeful for greater stability / gentler progress now that they've shifted to their own silicon. It seems much of the OS's changes over the last decade was about prepping for this.    

14 hours ago, mike m oz said:

I switched to an M1 Mac mini early this year and I haven't had any significant issues.  a couple of months ago and 

I just bought one MBP M1 a couple of months ago and rented VWs 2021. All was so smooth I decided to buy it. Now I am working on 2022 with 500mB files and I don't have any major issue, except the image mapping editing seems not to work. Reported that.

• Like 2

I'm running a Mac Pro (2013) and looking to upgrade to the new MacBook Pro. Is it still true that Renderworks is dependent on CPU and not GPU? Is a basic M1 Max with 10-core CPU and 24-core GPU the way to go? Or is it worth the $200 to get 32-core GPU?

Edited by Sky
26 minutes ago, dtheory said:

I'd snap up a Mini with an M1 Max and 32-64GB RAM in a heartbeat..  my M1 Mini (with Monterey) has been so great, I'd love to see what even more headroom could do..

Unfortunately that probably won't ever happen as it would severly undercut Apple's high-end price points on the new M1Pro/Max Macbook Pros while also pushing the Mini in the wrong direction (from Apple's perspective) toward the performance tier(s) of forthcoming MX-powered Mac Pros.

I (probably) agree with you.. but I can't help but hope that the rumor mills are on to something..

An M1 Max Mini would be a super hot seller.. so there's that..

4 minutes ago, Gilbert Osmond said:

Unfortunately that probably won't ever happen as it would severly undercut Apple's high-end price points on the new M1Pro/Max Macbook Pros while also pushing the Mini in the wrong direction (from Apple's perspective) toward the performance tier(s) of forthcoming MX-powered Mac Pros.

Can anyone give me a benchmark comparison  about the new M1 Max chip, vs a base Macpro trashcans with 32gb ram. ?

I have a few clients who are looking to upgrade, right now the majority of them are all on macpro trashcans  and few have cheese grater..  

I know the new M1s are not out yet, but based on stats and specs, can anyone say if these will have enough GPU power to render VW for architectural work?   Thanks!

On 10/18/2021 at 5:49 PM, dtheory said:

I (probably) agree with you.. but I can't help but hope that the rumor mills are on to something..

An M1 Max Mini would be a super hot seller.. so there's that..

There will definitely be a high end Mac mini to replace the high end Intel Mac mini which is still for sale. But I would expect a high end iMac to appear first. You may be waiting until next summer to see it... And if that is the case, it might just be an M2 and not an M1 Pro or Max. 

Edited by Sky
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2021 at 11:11 AM, jwp said:

Can anyone give me a benchmark comparison  about the new M1 Max chip, vs a base Macpro trashcans with 32gb ram. ?

I had a Mac Pro (Late-2013) 6 core with 64 gb ram. Yesterday, I got a MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021) M1 Max with 32 GPU and 64 gb ram and wasted no time in setting it up.

I ran the same rendering on the Mac Pro and the MacBook Pro. It rendered 2.7x faster. Amazing to see such speed from a notebook computer. Now you don't have to choose between power and mobility. One computer can do it all!

• Like 2

Interesting.

Sounds reasonable.

I also have the 6 core TC.

CB R23 via Intel/Rosetta, my M1 Mini is nearly as fast as the TC.

(5241 vs 5341 points)

But with native ASi CB R23; M1 is 45% faster than TC.

(7792 points)

So M1 Max about 14150 points ?

(About 180% faster than M1)

Something I have noticed running VW on my M1 mac mini.

Previously I could update a large number of renderworks viewports on one sheet in one go. I'd simply select them all and press "update". It might take a long time but it would do it.

On the M1 this often seems to provoke a crash. I can get away with doing maybe 10 at a time, but if I try it with, say, 25, I often get a crash.

I can't exclude this being a VW2021 problem (because I switched to the M1 and VW2021 at around the same time). But wonder if it could be relate to RAM in some way - as noted elsewhere, VW seems to progressively eat up an increasing amount of RAM that can only be released by quitting & reopening. In activity monitor VW is often listed as using more than the installed 16gb.

• Like 1
59 minutes ago, line-weight said:

Something I have noticed running VW on my M1 mac mini.

Previously I could update a large number of renderworks viewports on one sheet in one go. I'd simply select them all and press "update". It might take a long time but it would do it.

On the M1 this often seems to provoke a crash. I can get away with doing maybe 10 at a time, but if I try it with, say, 25, I often get a crash.

I can't exclude this being a VW2021 problem (because I switched to the M1 and VW2021 at around the same time). But wonder if it could be relate to RAM in some way - as noted elsewhere, VW seems to progressively eat up an increasing amount of RAM that can only be released by quitting & reopening. In activity monitor VW is often listed as using more than the installed 16gb.

Yes, I also was used to "Update all Viewports" on Intel Macs.

Same experience here, RAM went up until it needed more Swap Memory

than what was free on my system SSD (240 GB or so).

Not 100% sure if it finally crashed macOS, but at least I got a warning message

and at that time macOS also started to close all my other Apps running.

For now I only Update one by one.

5 hours ago, zoomer said:

Yes, I also was used to "Update all Viewports" on Intel Macs.

Same experience here, RAM went up until it needed more Swap Memory

than what was free on my system SSD (240 GB or so).

Not 100% sure if it finally crashed macOS, but at least I got a warning message

and at that time macOS also started to close all my other Apps running.

For now I only Update one by one.

Hm, is this in VW2022 as well as VW2021?

I think I forgot to even test in VW 2021

as I have already all projects migrated to VW 2022 since release.

So the VW 2021 backups don't have had those Viewports.

But AFAIR I read other's posts that it would work better in VW 2021.

At first I thought VP Update may now be multi threaded and therefore

needing more RAM when updating all VPs at a time according to how

many cores/threads are available.

But when I watch VW's Status Bar it looks like it does one VP after the

other anyway.