Mac Silicon OS and VW

• Administrator
On 12/6/2020 at 2:06 PM, neal-2002 said:

Thats the million dollar question finally answered (that its installs - Note - its been given by a client and not from vw..!!.) 👍🏻👏👏

@neal-2002 you can follow this article with the latest info about the new M1's

We shared with the community not only that Vectorworks 2021 installs but also a couple of issues found. As soon as our QA team finishes with the acceptance tests, we will be sending a communication to our users.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, JuanP said:

@neal-2002 you can follow this article with the latest info about the new M1's

We shared with the community not only that Vectorworks 2021 installs but also a couple of issues found. As soon as our QA team finishes with the acceptance tests, we will be sending a communication to our users.

That post doesnt actually state that vw 2021 will install on a M1 - which was my point....were just left to sort ourselves out....

My oldish iMac is struggling with Vw 2021 and the graphics are starting to degrade so I need to buy a new computer very soon.

I'm tempted to go with a 1 TB + 16 GB of unified memory M1 Mac Mini  because for 40% of the price it looks like I can get the same performance as an i9 chip iMac with a good graphics card.  I will be up for a monitor as well but the total cost will still be less than half the price of the iMac option.

The proximity to Christmas means I need to order soon.

Therefore further feedback on how your trials are going with the M1 Macs would be greatly appreciated.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee
57 minutes ago, neal-2002 said:

mike m oz - look forward to hearing how it goes due to the lack of much progress from VW themselves. 👍

Please follow the official thread for the latest updates to our testing efforts on M1.  There was an update posted yesterday in fact.

Enjoy!

• Like 2

That's surprisingly positive. I'm curious about the "five-year projection" closing remark by Steve Johnson (SteveJ?). Developer knowledge?

"Johnson sums it up by forecasting that continued development of a Universal Binary solution, which should be available long before Apple’s five-year projection for continuing to sell Intel machines, will ensure even greater performance for users because it will support both Apple and Intel architectures."

Apple gave themselves 2 years during the transition keynote and Bloomberg recently backed that up: "The company said it expects to finish the transition away from Intel and to its own silicon in 2022."    

Edited by M5d

Five years sounds about right, but if NV has something concrete to give us on Universal Binaries, that would be helpful. I've had a couple cracks at getting an answer; the first in this thread got no reply, the second in another thread got this . . .

On 10/16/2020 at 1:29 AM, Ian Lane said:

As for the universal binary, I would expect that universal binary support will be baked into all releases for a while.  It is hard for us to have an official policy on this because we don't know how long Apple will continue to release Intel based machines and how long they will continue to support those machines. 

"For a while," doesn't exactly make for a confident Intel/Mac purchase at this point. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, M5d said:

"For a while," doesn't exactly make for a confident Intel/Mac purchase at this point. 

I would see it like ....

They will transfer all Mac Hardware during a 2 year period.

- Apple will have some security time frame in case something went wrong.

Maybe they just planned one year as it worked out with last transition.

Maybe that transition may mean also to just to deprecate some of the

more niche, high end? products if that does not translate that well into

Apple Silicon. (I assume it will)

They will support and offer Intel Macs for years to come ...

- Once 80% of important Software Vendors support Apple Silicon,

and it looks that most Apple related App Vendors will jump early on that train,

there won't be much ambition from any Software Vendors as well as from Apple

to support or create anything any Intel Macs anymore.

I personally try to buy an 2020 Intel iMac since announcement,

as I know I could work again reasonable with this on Mac for a few years.

It was still not perfect and delivery times too long for my patience.

But since the first Apple Silicon offers delivered what Apple was promising,

those aren't that attractive anymore. Although still capable as they are and

do what they did before, they are clearly obsolete.

Enjoyed reading everyone’s comments/excitement about the new Apple Silicon Macs.

I’m running a trash can late -2013 Mac Pro that is almost 7-years old. I too am anxious to upgrade my computer to these super fast Apple Silicon Macs.

I am also excited to hear that VW2022 will run natively on the Apple Silicon processor.

I expect an M2 and M1X processor next year along with all computers (except Mac Pro) to be updated.

I hope I can last until 2022 when I expect a Mac Pro with M3 processor to be released. My computer will be 9-years old at that point but I think the Mac Pro will be really fast and worth the wait.

Yes, I’ve been coming to a similar view @zoomer.

I did think the best option would be to buy an Intel Mac soon and jump over the transition period. There was talk of the iMac Pro getting a refresh around about now, which I assumed would have been a 10nm Chip and RDNA2 graphics. Mostly, it was the new graphics capabilities (software permitting) that I believed could change life as we know it.

But it’s not looking likely, Intel has pushed their delivery dates (again), NV’s position on maintaining Universal Binaries during the run-off isn’t clear and if the Bloomberg report is correct, Apple will transition faster than anticipated. Like mike m and Sky, I’m at the tail end of my current Mac, without a problem though, so hopefully the dust settles a bit in the new year.

Edited by M5d
  • Like 2
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee
On 1/10/2021 at 9:11 AM, TimRob said:

Hi all,

Just curious if the M1 MacBook Air the VW team have been testing on is the 8GB unified memory version, not the 16GB. Can anyone confirm? 

Hello, 

The M1 Macbook Air that we have is the 8GB version.  I'm not sure if the 16GB was even available when we purchased this since we got it when they first came out, but I would say that this machine is pretty entry level.

Thanks,

Ian

On 1/11/2021 at 3:42 PM, Ian Lane said:

Hello, 

The M1 Macbook Air that we have is the 8GB version.  I'm not sure if the 16GB was even available when we purchased this since we got it when they first came out, but I would say that this machine is pretty entry level.

Thanks,

Ian

Hi Ian,

Thanks for the response. I hadn’t realised there was a delay on the release of the 16GB version. 

So just to confirm: Apart from the two reported issues, are there any limitations to the base version of the Air running VW? Say with prolonged 3D work, for example

Thanks