VW 12 Dimension quirk

Pre 12 - Draw a line, use dimension tool, press delete -lose line leaving just the dimension.

12 - Draw a line, use dimension tool, press delete, lose both line AND dimension.

Without getting into why I need to do this, how can I delete just the line without ungrouping.

I hope this will be considered a small bug that will be adressed.

Jim Terry

"Are your dimensions "constrained" to the line?"

If by that you mean, I select the line, select the dimension tool with the constraint furtherest to the right (selected object(s)Dimension), then once again click on the selected line, and the dimension appears, then yes.

Before the dimension was an "item" and the line would be a separate "item." Now they are grouped.

Very inconvenient.

Hi Jim. Yes I see what you mean now. What's going on, in case you actually care, is that your dimension is automatically "associating" itself with (or constraining itself to) the line you are dimensioning. You can tell this because of the red end points Ithe red color signifies the constraint). So for all practical purposes the dimension object becomes attached to the line. I'm not sure whether or not this is working as intended, or if there is a small bug, but here is an adequate work-around: create the line, create the dimension, then move the line to another layer (you can create a "dummy" layer, of the same scale). Once you remove the line form the layer, the dimesion will get its "freedom" from the constraint of the line. HTH's :-)

I do care. I do. I do.

What you say makes sense and I hope the good people at Nemetschek treat this like a bug.

The work around makes sense, but is way too many steps for what should in reality be a simple key stroke.

The other workaround is to Ungroup, but this completly destroys the properties of the dimension.

At the very least, under preferences there could be a choice to "group dimension with object."

Thanks much for your input.

In document preferences under the dimension tab, one can turn associated dimensions on or off. If you wan it to be a permanent change for all new documents, you will have to make a template file that has that setting turned off, and replace the Vectorworks Default file with that one. This change will have to be made individually with any document you created previously.

HTH