Copy with Base Point?

hrm

Ok, so I'm a long time Autocad user and there was a tool in autocad called Copy w/ Base Point. this made copying items from one drawing file to another file very easy. You selected the objects, selected copy w/base point from the menu and then clicked on your desired basepoint. (ie. a column line interesection, or where 2 walls come together) The base point was anywhere you wanted but when you clicked paste in DWG file #2 you could place all the pasted items at the location relative to where you selected the new basepoint to be.

Does anything like this exist in Vectorworks? The paste in place doesn't really solve the problem if the information needs to be in a different relationship to the coordinate system. Basically this is like the Point to Point copy plugin that's available on the internet, but works between drawing files as well.

If this doesn't exist it certainly would be very useful. Once you start using it you realize how fast it makes things.

I'm using VW12

Thanks.

hrm

[ 01-16-2006, 01:43 PM: Message edited by: hrm ]

There's a script available that does just this. About 2 years ago, I wrote a tech tip on how to use this.

You can search the Knowledge Base or just head over to vectordepot.com and view the scripts page.

I'd suggest you don't use those vector-copy scripts from Vectordepot...they give strange results that aren't immediately apparent - the resulting objects remove themselves from the undo queue somehow and generally make the file unstable.

You need to be careful using third party scripts, especially free ones.

Vector-copy and vector-move should be in the core program. It isn't good enough for NNA to suggest using buggy third party scripts.

I agree this function should be part of the base program. As an Autocad convert this was one of the functions I missed not having as a part of VW. I did initially down load the script from Vectorworks and it seemed to work fine although it did not have the "look and feel" of the base product which I would think would be a marketing concern for VW. Each upgrade to VW requires that the add-on be reinstalled and the workspace configured to access the add-on making add-ons a cumbersome route to achieve functionality. IMHO