Design menu gone???

Skot

ARGHHHHHH! Ok, I finally convinced my boss to bite the bullet and update all our machines to VW12 - and let me stress he was not happy to spend ALL THAT MONEY!

We are an engineering firm and we primarily draw lines and boxes. One of the favorite items that we used in 8.5 was the menu 'Design > Structural Shapes'. Very handy for quickly inserting a wide flange or tube steel section. VW12 doesn't have that option and I just wasted over an hour looking through the help (what a joke that is) files to find the missing Structural Shapes. Can someone please tell me where this handy item went and how I can get it back!

Thanks,

Skot

As Kevin pointed out, these items are available through the Tool Sets palette. Even VW12 Fundamentals has some of the detailing you're looking for I think...so if you cannot find the menu item Tool Sets, it's possible that you're in a different Workspace like maybe Classic as opposed to Standard?

[ 01-16-2006, 08:39 AM: Message edited by: david c. ]

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Skot, all structural shapes which were menu commands in VW8 are now plug-in objects (which are tool-based). So use the Workspaces command to activate the Standard workspace, then click on the Detailing tab on the Tool Sets palette, and you should have all your structural shape options. As Kevin pointed out, you're changing your workflow from software that is 4 versions (6 or 7 years) old, and some re-training is going to be inevitable. Feel free to call Tech Support if you run into roadblocks.

Yeah, I was in Classic.

Ugh! The other evil my boss was worried about! Having to retrain everyone on how to draw. The good news is that I found the shapes, so MANY THANK YOUS to you folks for that!!! I'm very happy to see that this board is so active and such a good resource!

Thanks Again!

Skot

• 3 weeks later...

When you are in the Classic Workspace the Sub-menu to change Workspaces is located in the File Menu subset.

When you are in the new VW 12 Workspaces the Sub-menu to change Workspaces is located in the Tools Menu subset.

VW 12 has changed in the Menu setup to a more logical and intuitive layout. The problem for us older version users is the old ingrained habits of looking for things where we used to. It takes a bit of effort to become comfortable with the new Menu structure. It is worth the effort though.