Stories and wall heights

I am new to V2020 and have issues with projecting walls heights with Stories.

I used to be able to just set the wall height under "Tools / Organization / Design Layers / Wall Height".  Apparently I need to set the heights under "Stories", but i do not understand it and there doesn't seem to be a tutorial for this.

Help!!  Thanks. 

Guest Wes Gardner

@Robert Darden, you're in luck... There are two tutorials pinned at the top of this section - Model Set Up and No Stories, No Problem. - one explains the use of stories, the other does not require stories when setting up a model.   When you say you used to be able to...the behavior you're experiencing is a wall style set up to use Layer Wall Height - this is called a Layer Bound wall style.  What you may have done is grabbed a Level Bound wall style from the Resource Manager.  These won't work unless you've set up stories/levels for the various wall components to "look for."  Best advice - read the two tutorials.  I'd also suggest building a Layer Bound model first (one without stories) and get familiar with controlling individual wall component heights by using offsets (and by using the Component button in the OIP)

Wes

@Robert Darden In case you might find a video easier to follow, there is a course over at the VW University portal named ‘Model Setup’ which discusses layers, levels and story setup.

[I can’t post a direct link to the VW University Course, as you have to register and login to see them. Once you’re logged in, Search the Courses for “Model Setup” and you’ll find it].
Vectorworks University

Edited by rDesign

All,

Attached is the file on which I am trying to establish the exterior wall heights:

Foundation: 36" CMU wall above grade, 24" below grade

First floor: 9 ft. floor to ceiling height

Second floor: 9 ft. floor to ceiling height

If someone has a chance, please review and advise why I can't establish the wall heights.  Am I using the wrong wall types?

Thanks.

Rob

2019 6th Ave.vwx

Guest Wes Gardner

@Robert Darden, here's your model back...I switched the exterior wall style from being a Level Bound wall style to a Layer Bound wall style.  That wall style will now respond to LAYER WALL HEIGHT as defined in your design layers.  You can go through and switch out the other ones.  As you've defined it, this project does NOT use stories.  You will find that you can build a perfectly fine model WITHOUT stories.  Just make sure your wall styles are set up to be LAYER bound.  It also appears that some of your doors appear in wireframe, that's because they have no fill.  Simply choose a white fill or some other color from the Attributes palette.

My advice is to read the tutorials at the top of this section so that you'll have a firm understanding of the difference between the two model set up schemes.

Wes

Screen Shot 2020-06-18 at 9.27.36 AM.png

2019 6th Ave wg.vwx

• 7 months later...

Clear and concise as ever Wes. I am currently interested in choosing which way to go on the project set up by stories/no stories and opt for '...... a perfectly fine model WITHOUT stories' keeping with the 'KISS' strategy for template projects in the office. Just wondering if there are any significant dis/advantages further along the project development in terms of energy expended versus actual useable, efficiently created building information? I think that stories are too complicated for work on small existing buildings and more suited to larger new buildings. Although I do like the accuracy of the different levels that relate to reality.  Stories appear to be too complicated for no appreciable advantage over the much simpler Level method you suggested to Robert. Do you have any thoughts on this ?

Grateful for you numerous post that have solved many issues over the years.

Brian

• Like 1
Guest Wes Gardner

@bmaad...I think the KISS principle works here...stories DO offer superior change management if you're anticipating a bunch of floor-to-floor changes (this would be relevant to the larger building scenario you mention) as the stories/floors above will be moved up/down automatically.  In the non-story scenario, you'll need to adjust each layer's height if a change is encountered. So with that said, I'll go with "it really depends on the project" as to whether or not to use stories.  Even if you're anticipating working with IFC, your non-story layers can be manually mapped to IFC stories, that's why I contend that you can build a perfectly fine model without stories.  There really is no "down side."  Just be sure to select the correct wall style if you are going the non-story route. If you choose the story route, both wall styles will work in your model simultaneously if you want them to.

Wes

Hi 

We are using the Layer bound principles in all our models and it works quite well even when exporting tp IFC for collaboration. However when exporting to Revit few of the walls was exporting over. I haven't had time to try out if story bound walls export better but if exporting to Revit is important for you, you should make a simple model to test the difference 

@bmaad @Wes Gardner