VW 12 won't start after security update

Davy

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings,

Thanks for drawing my attention to Quicktime. I had QT installed prior to loading VW12. This morning VW12 would not start - I'd get an hourglass for a few seconds, then nothing. I tried reinstalling VW12, but no luck. After reading this thread I loaded VW12 install CD, went to the QT directory and started the installer. Instead of installing, it UNinstalled. Fine. After it finished, I restarted the installer. This time QT installed, and VW12 started-up just fine.

Mike Rowsey

After not seeing any comments for several days, I finally went ahead and called Tech support. The tech hadn't really heard of this particular problem, but after we spoke about it, we decided that the best course of action would be to uninstall Quicktime 7.0.4, delete VW12, then perform a fresh install. I haven't tried it just yet, but will update everyone after. Seems like there should be a better solution than doing a complete reinstall. Oh well. Such is life when using any microsoft based operating system and the software that runs on it.

Cheers

I have been having this problem with VW12 for a couple of months. I have tried everything suggested by several people at Tech support. I have uninstalled and reinstalled Quicktime and Vectorworks in every possible configuration and sequence. Nothing works for more than a couple of days. No one at VW is calling me back or returning emails. I need to know if my files can be reformatted so I can go back to VW10. I presume that no progress has been made on solving this problem and I can't work productively if I have to reinstall the software several times a week.

YES!! I think that I've solved my problem. I have had two more computers with this same crash problem since I first posted. On this last computer, it was the second time for this to happen. Planning on reinstalling VW12, I copied the plugins and workspaces folders to the desktop. I installed VW12 over the previous installation. VW opened. I installed the 12.0.1 patch. VW opened. I renamed the Worspaces folder and copied the one from the desktop back into the VW folder. When I launched VW, I got the exact same Quicktime error that I have been getting all along. I then put the original Workspace folder back, and VW opened right up. We have grabbed some plugins from Vector Depot and cutomized the "Architect" workspace. I'm guessing that somewhere in there, the Architect.qtr file or others in there may be getting corrupted. I've copied the workspace file on all of our working installations to a safe place on a server. If it happens again, I will see if this fix works again. I still have the corrupt Workspaces folder if anyone at NNA needs to take a look.

Steve

[ 03-07-2006, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: stevek ]

• 2 weeks later...

SteveK,

Thanks for the idea. I just went to my workspace directory and moved the last one I modified out of the directory to the desktop and now the program opens fine.

Anybody care to send me an unmodified version of the Spotlight workspace?

Anybody at Nemetscheck want the one I removed so maybe they can figure out the problem?

Thanks,

Davy

• 2 weeks later...

JustWannaDesign -

Are you sending emails to tech@nemetschek.net or bugsubmit@nemetschek.net?

I did a search for the inbox of Tech@nemetschek.net and did not find any emails from the email address the MB account is registered with.

• 3 weeks later...

Love the program, but am dissappointed that NNA is not aggressive in resolving issues like this one on this post. 2 months to get someone on the forums to actually brig up some ideas other than complete re-installation.

Kudos to [big Grin]

stevek

VectorWorks User

Member # 5272

He suggested it was a plug-in or workspace corruption. So I removed my customized workspace file and used the quicktime installer on the original cd to un-install Quicktime then used it to re-install Quicktime. The combination worked for me. If I put my customized workspace file back into the workspace folder VW12 gives me the same issue saying it is Quicktime. Remove the file and the program lauches no problem.

Glad I found some help on the forums as 30+ minutes on hold for tech support was teeth grinding especially with deadlines. [Eek!]

Anyways,

I hope I come to the forums to learn new things not troubleshoot.

Is this error popping up after you installed a 3rd party plugin object or otherwise changed your workspace?

I thought that adding plug-ins was what happened on my two problem computers, but then I noticed that none of my other computers (4 PCs & 3 Macs) had this problem. Also, the two computers that had the corrupted work space files have all been working fine since then.

We have a number of plug-ins downloaded from Vector Depot. Some are for older versions of VW and probably should be weeded out.

Edited by stevek