VW 12 won't start after security update

Davy

After I installed the latest security updates from Micros..t VW 12 will not finish starting up due to an error with quicktime. I've tried every version of quicktime from the ones on the VW install disk up through the latest version. Same problem.

Any suggestions.

Thanks,

Davy

[ 01-13-2006, 03:24 PM: Message edited by: Davy ]

Uninstall the current version of QuickTime that you have using Add Remove Programs and install the version that is on the VW 12 install CD. If that doesn't work - download the latest from apple.com/quicktime

When installing, be sure to select a custom installation and select all components to be installed.

I get the splash screen and then

"Vectorworks Application has encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvienence."

When I click on the click here link to see what the error report contains I get:

Error signature

AppName: vectorworks.exe AppVer: 12.0.0.49891

ModName: quicktime.qts ModVer: 7.0.4.80

Offset: 000feef1

I got the same with quicktime 7.0.2 and 7.0.3

Davy

I have a user with the same problem, generating the same error message. First I uninstalled QT and reinstalled off the CD. That didn't work. I then reinstalled VW 12, which also didn't work. This computer still has VW 11.5.1 on it, so I tried opening that. VW 11.5.1 opened with no problems. So my quess would be something related to VW 12 is crashing and not QT. As far as I can tell, this computer has not has any software updates in the last week or so.

Steve

[ 02-07-2006, 04:13 PM: Message edited by: stevek ]

I am currently investigating this problem with the engineering staff and will be in touch as soon as I have more information.

Ethan - your problem is different. It sounds as though not all the components are being installed.

When you installed from the CD, did you get a message alerting you that the installation was complete?

Im having the same problems. Using VW12, had Quicktime 7.04 already on my system. When I try to create a section viewport of a floor plan, I get the dreaded "Vectorworks encountered an error and needs to close"!! AAAhhh Eiieeie. Then it drops me out of VW. The error report identifies the problem as quicktime.qts file. I tried to uninstall, reinstall Quicktime, uninstall quicktime and delete Vectorworks (I have to do it manually since Vectorworks doesn't show up in my windows "add/Remove programs" window.(why not?). I even tried it with the just released VW 12.0.1 update. Still doesn't work. Any suggestions for a clear concise course of action, other than a try this, try that trial and error approach?

Cheers

Tim

Oh, also, I'm not using a dongle, and the program initially allowed me to create the section viewport on this same computer, but I was running it on Win xp 64 bit version, and didn't seem to have the problem, but switched back to running win xp 32 bit version because of other problems like unavailable drivers, software incompatibilities, etc. BTW, VW12 seemed to work fine with win xp 64 bit.

My system:

AMD 64bit dual core 4800

2 gig ram

Geforce 7800 Gtx video

1 TB system (yeehaw!!)