Door&Window Classes

How does one control the colours of each part of the door and window tools in 2D? At the moment the door leaf, door swing and window sill are all the same colour which I don't want (they're placed into 'sill' class although I changed them to 'Style-1', etc.).

I would like to control the various parts of the door and window in 2D just as one can do in 3D.

TIA.

Katie. I am having the same problem. We have just upgraded to Version 12. When we open our drawings we find the door leaf and swings are not visible and have been arbitrarily reassigned to a class called 'sills'. Previously in Version 11 all the elements of the door were all the same class. I have looked at the Settings dialog and cannot find out how to change this so that everything displays as the door class.

Can you help us out on this one.

Thanks

John Ryan

CPR Architects

OSX G5 2Ghz VW12

double click on an existing door, or click on the preferences button before you place a door.

Click on the View tab. There are special classes settings were you choose the classes for each part of the door. Go through these settings before you use the door (or Window) in a project to make sure that the classes are set the way that you you want.

The other suggestion is to make one of these doors into a library object, then just place it from the Resource Browser when you need a door. For those that need it, this is covered in my new VectorWorks 12 Architect tutorial...

Shaun

You are right. A couple of things on this.

1. When I go to the View tab in the preferences settings for a door I am presented with limited options to assisgn either 'none' or 'Style1-12' as classes for some of the door components. There is a separate dialog to set line weights for the door elements but presumably these should all be in the class on which the door is created.

2. I have struggled for a number of hours to get the window PIO to work in 2D to show inner and outer sills but cannot get this to work. This is in a drawing where the window PIO worked flawlessly (for me) in Version 11.5.

3. What I cannot understand or get to the bottom of how PIO's are generating new classes such as 'sills' or 'nonplot' for some parts of the PIO. We will now have to go through all our drawings and sort this out as these new unsolicited classes are not switched on in our viewports, saved views etc...

Can someone please confirm that either this is a major bug/flaw in Version 12 or else what is the solution to the problem.

Thanks

John Ryan

CPR Architects

OSX - G5 2Ghz - Vw 12

[Confused][Mad][Confused][Mad][Confused]

"Is there a formula that I can insert into my Window Schedule that will automatically record the window's elevation as noted in the Windows Preference dialog?

The formula is =(Window.Elevation). Create a new column in your Window Schedule and title it "Elevation". Next from the Worksheet pull-down menu select Database Headers. This will open all the Database Header rows in the Window Schedule worksheet. With the Database Header rows open on the worksheet, select cell under the cell titled "Elevation" and past in the formula bar, =(Window.Elevation). Then check the green check box. This will automatically add the each window's elevation to your window schedule. Lastly, from the Worksheet menu, uncheck Database Header to hide the database row. Then reformat the column appropriately."

I wonder who found out about this first?

quote:

Originally posted by John CPR:

2. I have struggled for a number of hours to get the window PIO to work in 2D to show inner and outer sills but cannot get this to work. This is in a drawing where the window PIO worked flawlessly (for me) in Version 11.5.

Can someone please confirm that either this is a major bug/flaw in Version 12 or else what is the solution to the problem.

John Ryan

CPR Architects

OSX - G5 2Ghz - Vw 12

[Confused][Mad][Confused][Mad][Confused]

Have you tried a completely new v12 window instead of struggling with the v11.5 converted ones?

I think I solved my window border problems that way.

As a test I created a completely new file in Version 12. I can get the door PIO to work albeit that you cannot control it assigment of parts of the door onto a class called 'sills'

The window PIO is a different matter. Tried numerous times but was unable to succeed in getting a window to display inner and outer sills properly in a 2D drawing.

Can you get a refund if you trade in Version12 & go back to Version11.5?

John Ryan

CPR Architects

I have had the same problems:

1. Door swing line weights changing

2. Door end caps missing

3. Cased openings looking like windows

4. Window lineweights looking changing

The upgrade or reworking of these tools have been non-productive and problematic. I've given up on the new door and window tools, and decided to replace the new plugins with the old V11 door and window plugin. I like the layout better anyways.