Wall Framer query

Hi I'm wondering if it's possible to frame a twin stud wall using the AEC>Wall Framer command? I have a wall style with two separate wood framing components (an inner 4" loadbearing frame plus an outer 3" non-loadbearing frame) but I can only get one framed at a time (by toggling which one is designated as the Core).

Also, is there any useful info out there (videos, tutorials, etc) regarding wall framing? I haven't seen any other than the VW Help page which is fairly scant. I'm just wondering what the best way to approach the command is: there doesn't seem to be any way to edit the framing once its been created so what happens, for example, if you need to adjust the spacing of the studs or change the height of the walls or move a wall? You have to ditch the framing + start again? Does this mean it's just something you apply right at the final stage of the model, rather than something you incorporate in the drawing process from the beginning?

Sorry for so many questions I've only looked at it for the first time today!

Thanks

Guest Wes Gardner

@Tom W., the last part of your question first - the framer creates extruded elements for studs, plates, blocking, etc. Therefore, they can be edited as any extruded element, relocated either by grabbing and dragging or by using the Move command. They can be duplicated, deleted, shortened or lengthened as mentioned using the editing function.  The Wall Framer is a very old tool and has not received much love in the recent past and was never designed to be able to create a twin-stud wall or wet wall or any of those types of configurations.  There may be some workarounds that you could explore but nothing "out of the box" comes to mind.  For example, you may be able to create two walls, an inner and an outer and have the framer frame both of those -

Wes 

Screen Shot 2020-06-15 at 8.58.07 AM.png

Double Wall Framing.vwx

Thanks Wes. Not having looked at the tool before I was assuming it would be a bit more sophisticated + that the framing would become a component within the wall style which would respond to modifications made to the wall. But thanks for confirming I wasn't missing anything!

I've divided my wall in two as you suggested + achieved the twin stud construction I wanted so that's great. Not sure what knock-on effect of having a wall in two halves will be but we'll see...

Tom

Screenshot 2020-06-15 at 14.41.49.png

Screenshot 2020-06-15 at 14.41.09.png

Hmm now I've had a look at the worksheets the wall framer creates + is there a way to have them show a total linear amount for the frames? The 'Framing Wall Info' worksheet totals up the area values but not the linear values. To complicate things further I'd need separate totals for frames 5, 6, 7 + 8 and frames 1, 2, 3 + 4 because the former uses 4" studs + the latter 3" studs. I thought I'd just be able to put a formula in cells E9 and E14 but it doesn't like it.

Also be good to get rid of the decimal points (these are mm after all) + show the surface area values in m2 rather than mm2. Trying to format the cells doesn't get me anywhere. Is it to do with the fact they are all spreadsheet rows + not database rows???

Thanks

Screenshot 2020-06-15 at 18.18.21.png