Editing a 3D symbol

Sometime back, there was a change in the way one edits a 3D symbol.  I often find myself wanting to edit 3D symbols and typically this involves using some 2D geometry to create new or modified extrudes or simply drawing lines for registration purposes.  The relatively new development (seems like the past two or three versions) is that any 2D elements immediately move to the 2D component of the symbol unless you change your 2D drafting plane to "symbol definition" or (I think) "screen plane".   I would really like for the default for my symbol editing to be "symbol definition" as there are next to no instances where I would ever, while editing the 3D portion of a symbol, draw 2D geometry that I wanted to immediately disappear to the 2D portion of the symbol.  Every time this happens it is "undo", set the plane to "symbol definition" and start over.  If I do not utilize "undo" I'll end up with an errant piece of geometry in the 2D portion.  Is there a preference specifically for this?  

• Like 4
10 hours ago, mjm said:

I hear you @scottmoore 

It's like a sharp stick in the eye, every time.

Of course, you'd think I'd have learnt by now…

I tend to forget every time. I “think” you cannot change the setting until after you select a 2D tool.  It’s yet another item that pulls one away from the design process to deal with pedestrian functions. 

• Like 3
4 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

I believe the change was implements so that Hybrid Symbols could have not only a specific Top/Plan view separate from the 3D model, but also custom 2D views for any of the standard Orthogonal (Front/Back/Right/Left/Top/Bottom) views.

I’ll have to find a resource that details that concept. Sounds interesting, but it kind of hurt my brain thinking about that!  Currently it’s just about the most frustrating thing ever. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone. I need some your help. I'm trying to improve my spotlight experience. But i got a problem. I want to change 3d objects of truss outrigger.Rather than i want to cancel 2 pieces of brace or outrigger. I can't get in the model as this photo. Where i may get a problem. Please inform me.

Thank you

Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 17.04.43.png

On 7/16/2020 at 9:11 AM, Safak Sari said:

Hi everyone. I need some your help. I'm trying to improve my spotlight experience. But i got a problem. I want to change 3d objects of truss outrigger.Rather than i want to cancel 2 pieces of brace or outrigger. I can't get in the model as this photo. Where i may get a problem. Please inform me.

Thank you

Screen Shot 2020-07-16 at 17.04.43.png

This appears to be a generic solid which offers no real editing options.  Unless someone has a better idea, you will have to redraw the elements.  

• Like 1
On 6/30/2020 at 10:33 AM, Daniel Dickman said:

Along the lines of editing 3D symbols... When editing the 3D component of a hybrid symbol, I've recently noticed that I can not select a 3D view from the drop down. Flyover works fine but the 3D view drop down is grayed out. Any ideas? What am I missing here?

image.thumb.png.3a3bb8403477646ae903d12565ab3270.png

That is not expected behavior.  Not sure what would cause that. 

• Like 2