Organisation of office library

What classification system do you use to organise your (digital) office library these days? In particular categorisation (i.e. folder organisation, as opposed to tagging).

I haven't settled on anything satisfactory for years. Uniclass 2015 is well attuned to building information but not really an office library.

I've toyed with a system called Specification for Discoverable Construction Knowledge (SDCK) but don't like folder structure.

@Christiaan  Look into using obsidian rather than native vectorworks. It is a knowledge based 2nd brain management system. The benefit is that you can have varied folder structure, but you can reference any element in the library structure to find anything you need regardless of directories. I've started developing my own office standards that way 

Just a sensibly-named folder structure on Windows + Everything (for filename search) + Agent Ransack (for file content search) - both have regex options.

So methodology is:

Sort just enough, Search  - always find what I want near instantly.

One thing that really works for me is assigning a random code to a key-worded .txt file like so;

management sociopath OR psychopath s__Dsm6B1a2.txt

then writing general topic info, links etc into the file, and coding related files with Author Date Title_Precis any salient info and search code:

Brooks 2019 Management psychopath 20 percent s__Dsm6B1a2.pdf

^ has saved me a ton of time

Have played with organising everything by site type, but that was too narrow. I design landscapes and get bored sticking to one type so content is very diverse, and frankly takes too long to be worthwhile with the above methods.

• Like 1