Rendering glassy materials - dark edges

Here are some test renderings for quite a complicated model.

You can see that there is a bunch of stuff that I am rendering as if it's glass - the idea being that the parts that I've highlighted in a kind of beige colour are visible through it.

In the top image, I've used the "glass frosted 01 RT" default texture. It sort of looks how I want it, but I'd like to reduce the very dark portions that mostly appear along edges, but also on some angled faces. What's the setting that I should be fiddling with to reduce this? Are they reflections? If so, I can't work out what they are reflecting, because I've got a pure white background.

The bottom image is the same model but using "plastic transparent polythene RT" instead. This has no dark edges, and makes the highlighted elements more visible, but I don't like the look of it so much - it doesn't really look like a real material. So I guess I'm aiming for something that is in between these two materials.

Any tips?

1305757223_ScreenShot2020-06-10at09_39_58.thumb.jpg.b9c165a72a3a8121511fe1fdcbd1ddf4.jpg

1597714134_ScreenShot2020-06-10at09_40_08.thumb.jpg.5856040b9235bac2ce7adbc5ec59499f.jpg

Thanks! Yes, I have tried playing with these settings a bit, but without full understanding of what they each do. I was hoping someone might be able to point me to the specific things that will affect what I'm trying to change ... otherwise it is quite a long and tedious process of trial and error.

1 hour ago, Tamsin Slatter said:

Absorption distance is the setting that gives darker effects on glass when it's viewed from different angles. Have a look at that setting. If you change it to zero you may be able to remove the effect you're seeing on the fillets.

Thanks. It's already set to zero on that texture (the top one of my images), though.

2 hours ago, Kevin Allen said:

The Color Shader

Trying that doesn't seem to make much difference - you may have misunderstood what I'm trying to reduce, which is the dark grey/black you can see along the 'edges' and facets of some the glassy elements. Here I have highlighted a couple of examples:

36620423_ScreenShot2020-06-11at18_35_00.thumb.jpg.5810de2419846b7a101b4a7ceb3d375e.jpg

19 hours ago, line-weight said:

Here's how it ended up looking in the final version (so far)

Wow, congrats. You are really nailing it. 

May I ask what lighting settings and materials you are using in the end? (Both for the transparent part and for the volumes with balsa wood)

I'd love to try making renders like that.