Volume of object

sarab

Newby here, or old person not very good at it!

TOPIC: WORKING OUT VOLUME OF OBJECTS

Im trying to work out the volume of an object and used the AEC, machine design, 3D properties tool, but don't understand the answer. If the object is a brick for example with a hollow core and a raised prong on top so the drawing was drawn with a subtract and add solid tools, the volume its giving me is 

Surface Area: 635.9e+003 mm2

Volume: 7.591e+006 mm3

but in terms of a volume what does that mean? 7.59mm3 (?)

help please cheers Sara

It's scientific notation (E notation)

https://www.calculatorsoup.com/calculators/math/scientific-notation-converter.php

7.59e+006 means 7.59 x 10^6 (10 to the power of 6 which means 10 with 6 zeros after it)

So, 7.59 x 10,000,000 = 7,590,000mm3

Then you can use a converter to change it to cubic meters or whatever unit you need.

eg

https://www.digitaldutch.com/unitconverter/volume

Somewhere in vectorworks there is a setting that will make you give these volumes in, say cubic metres rather than cubic millimetres, if that's more useful to you. I think.

Edited by line-weight
  • Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I think what you are looking for is under Model:Volumetric Properties or Model:Engineering Properties.

What do you mean you can't get into vector support? Do you mean you can open the help files? Or something else? There is certainly a local version of the help so that should not require a cloud connection.