Mesh import loses smoothing after edit...can I get it back?

I am modeling some objects and importing meshes for some parts that I don't want to model in VW (I don't want to lose all my hair).  The mesh imports just fine and looks great, but I need to change the class of some of the meshes.  While this works, it doesn't change the underlying structure's class.  This means that the mesh is essentially two classes, which is undesirable. But, if I go into change the internal class, the mesh loses smoothing settings, and looks bad afterwards.  I trued using subdivision, but it smoothed things way too much.  There is probably a way to deal with it, but wondering if there's anyway to change the underlying class of a mesh without destroying the smoothing angles?

Right is the imported mesh, while left is after changing the class inside.

image.thumb.png.4b6c79476e3fd8f905a368722ca06d67.png

Not sure why it's getting turned off, but it should be the very bottom option of the Render tab in the Object Info Palette - "Mesh Smoothing."

"Use Document Preference" will use the settings determined in Document Preferences.

Or "Custom Crease Angle" let's you type in a number for that specific object (try range of 50-75).

9 minutes ago, Andy Broomell said:

Not sure why it's getting turned off, but it should be the very bottom option of the Render tab in the Object Info Palette - "Mesh Smoothing."

"Use Document Preference" will use the settings determined in Document Preferences.

Or "Custom Crease Angle" let's you type in a number for that specific object (try range of 50-75).

You got me!  I knew I had seen the mesh smoothing option before in the OIP, but I thought it had been under "shape".  So, when I didn't see it, I figured something was wrong.  It was in the render tab.  That seems to have fixed it.  Thank you!

• Like 1