Can't subtract shape using Push/pull Sub-Face mode from a sweep object

bekpalmer

Question

I have created a 3D candlestick shape using the Sweep function.  I am trying to push 4 holes into it using the Push/Pull tool in Sub-face mode.  The holes cannot be made by drawing the profile into the sweep so this seems the way to do it.  I am drawing 4 circles using the 2D planar circle tool on the face I want to subtract them from 9using automativc plane so they are on the face).  In Sub-face mode I then select one circle, then select the sweep object then push into the required depth.  I get the message Push/Pull Failed.  I have tried converting the sweep object to NURBS, to a generic solid, grouping it andcomposing it but non of these work.  What am I doing wrong?

3 answers to this question

pushpull may not work on this curved surface.

try instead:

the Project tool. Similar technique - set view perpendicular to “drilling”axis, draw the circles in screen plane, then Project in the cut mode. 

OR

Solid subtraction - Align the view as above, draw the circles, extrude them through the candle stick, may require moving them in top view so that they pierce the candlestick.  Then select extrudes and candlestick, Subtract Solids.. if necessary in the dialog, click the next/prev buttons to highlight the candlestick. 

post back as needed

-B

• Like 2

Thank you.  Both of your suggestions worked.  I actually tried the Sub-face mode again also and got it to work by passing all the way through my object.  It just wouldn't work when I only pushed it part way through.  Is that a standard setting that it must pass all the way through to work?