lines on surface of solid subtraction

nwfonseca

Question

Hey all, I am having an issue when I create solid subtractions. I create the initial extrude and it looks perfect in any render mode. When I subtract a shape "a rectangle for an opening" lines will appear on the surface of the newly created solid subtraction. These lines originate at corners and extend either to another corner or the center of a line between corners. This happens regardless of how I create the original shape or the intersecting shape. i.e. using the rectangle tool, polyline tool, etc. The lines show up in polygon render mode in my viewports and design layers. I have tried workarounds such as using "Shaded Polygon No Lines" with the foreground render mode set to hidden line which makes the unwanted lines lines disappear but the faces of all my surfaces are shaded grey. Adding lights in the design layer doesn't light the faces in the sheet layer. I am not sure why rendering modes look different between design and sheet layers. Any ideas on how to get rid of these lines? I attached a test file so you can see what I am talking about.

Community Test.vwx

4 answers to this question

Hi @nwfonseca, I've tested your file. The short answer is to just use 'Hidden Line' rendering. That gets you the result you're after without the lines-between-the-corners. 

Also, using your file I confirmed there is no difference between Shaded Polygon mode in the Design Layer and a Sheet Layer Viewport. Those lines appear in both and I believe they are a function of displaying 'polygons' - which are actually there and so will be displayed - as opposed to OpenGL or Hidden Line or Dashed Hidden Line because they are used to communicate particular information about form and not what geometry the object is made of / how the object is constructed. 

I did notice some weirdness when opening your file that my installation of Vectorworks corrected. Even though I didn't save my changes the next time I opened your file the anomalies did not occur. Deleting then downloading your file again presented the anomalies again. - This suggests there is something wrong with your file or one or more objects in it. To rule out your file's apparent issue/s, I've used my own test file to confirm what I asserted in my last comment. 

Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 10.21.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 10.22.41 AM.png

• Like 1
On 6/11/2020 at 6:41 PM, Jeremy Best said:

I did notice some weirdness when opening your file that my installation of Vectorworks corrected. Even though I didn't save my changes the next time I opened your file the anomalies did not occur. Deleting then downloading your file again presented the anomalies again. - This suggests there is something wrong with your file or one or more objects in it. To rule out your file's apparent issue/s, I've used my own test file to confirm what I asserted in my last comment. 

Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 10.21.06 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-12 at 10.22.41 AM.png