Can I copy class visibilities between a viewport & a saved view?

I have some viewports set up with a rather complex bunch of class visibilities - and I also have some saved views set up with similarly complex bunches of class visibilities.

Is there any way I can copy the class visibilities (and the class visibilities only - not anything else) from a viewport to a saved view, and/or vice versa? Ideally a way that doesn't melt my brain in the process?

Edited by line-weight
  • Love 1

Just a suggestion. If you were to Edit the Viewport and select Design Layers and then check Display Using Viewport Visibilities. You will get to the design layer where you can save a View with just the class parameters selected. I guess it won't work with Class overrides though if that is your need as well.

Mark

10 minutes ago, markdd said:

Just a suggestion. If you were to Edit the Viewport and select Design Layers and then check Display Using Viewport Visibilities. You will get to the design layer where you can save a View with just the class parameters selected. I guess it won't work with Class overrides though if that is your need as well.

Mark

Thanks.

Yes, this would allow me to save a new saved view, with the right classes activated.

However, ideally I want to be able to copy the class visibilities to saved views that I already have set up with specific viewpoints, render modes, layer visibilities etc.

Class overrides (which i do use in the viewports) would not be a problem, because I don't need the overrides in the saved views.

• Like 1

I've had a thought though, maybe this can be a multi step process:

1) Edit viewport>display using viewport visibilities

2) Save that as a temporary saved view.... but save the class visibilities only.

3) Go to the saved view that I want to change (with layers and other stuff set up)

4) Then go to the temporary saved view, which will switch the classes but leave everything else alone

5) Then save that on top of the old saved view, effectively changing it to the new class visibilities setup.

A bit tedious but less tedious than manually changing lots of class visibilities.

Not sure if something similar can work in the opposite direction.

I've realised there's a problem: a saved view can have the "don't change" option for class visibilities, whereas a viewport can't.

This means that the method described above doesn't work for any saved views where I have some classes set as "don't change" - that setting gets over-written.

7 hours ago, line-weight said:

I've a feeling I've seen this as a wishlist item at some point ... but it would be useful if the eyedropper tool could copy render and lighting settings between viewports too.

That should be covered with the "Render Properties" checkbox. I use that one all the time - super useful 🙂 

• Like 1

Hmm, good question. I’m not sure about individual Light overrides from the Visualization Palette.  My guess is no?

I typically only turn entire systems of light on or off by putting the Lights on classes and making those classes visible or invisible. 

The eyedropper definitely does copy “Lighting Options” along with Foreground/Background render settings. But let us know what you find out about Light overrides. 

39 minutes ago, Andy Broomell said:

Hmm, good question. I’m not sure about individual Light overrides from the Visualization Palette.  My guess is no?

I typically only turn entire systems of light on or off by putting the Lights on classes and making those classes visible or invisible. 

The eyedropper definitely does copy “Lighting Options” along with Foreground/Background render settings. But let us know what you find out about Light overrides. 

A quick test suggests that it does pick up light overrides if the "render properties" box is ticked.

That's potentially handy - although, could also be problematic where I want to copy render settings between viewports without changing the lighting setup.

In that case, I guess I could use your class based system for switching lights - but then I'd have problems where I want to copy class visibilities but leave the lighting alone.

A typical use case for me is when I do sunlight studies - I'll have maybe an option A and an option B design, and for each one I'll have a few viewports showing sunlight at different times of day/year, which I do by having multiple Heliodons, each for a different time, and each viewport will have one of these switched on.