How can I change the line thickness i'm drawing with?

I'm using Vectorworks 10.5

example. Most of my drawings are drawn using a 4 mil line thickness. Every so often i want to create an object drawn with a 2 mil line thickness. When i draw the object it draws in a 4 mil line thickness. I then have to go back and select the lines and change them to 2 mil.

How do I change the line thickness before I draw the object so my object is drawn in a 2 mil line thickness so I don't have to go back and select all the lines and reset their thickness?

Hey Max, Here is a little more info: If you change the line weight (or any other ATTRIBUTE for that matter) with NO OBJECT SELECTED, the new setting will become the DEFAULT setting.

You can also create little scripts using the CUSTOM TOOL/ATTRIBUTE command. Then all you need to do is double click on the script name and voila!

The best way to keep lines & other elements at the "correct" thickness is if you set the line thickness, pen colour and fill as the defalt in a class. Just draw what you are drawing and forget about graphic elements, by assigning what is drawn to the correct class your drawing will be what you are looking for; as long as classes are set up with the "correct" graphic definitions. Don't change the elements drawn, change the class!

Ouch! I wouldn't do that unless I were sure I'd be changing the lineweights of particular classes quite a bit. And even then I'd consider suicide as a way of getting out of it. All that messing around with classes and names is an Autocad nightmare.

For me, the great thing about VectorWorks is that you can see the drawing while working on it, perceiving it graphically rather than analytically, and can concentrate on the building that's visually represented by all those lines, instead of thinking about transformations and about what lines will be represented by all those named classes.

But... each to his own taste.