New Plug-In Style from Unstyled Plug-In

Andy Broomell

Question

12 answers to this question

4 hours ago, Kevin Allen said:

I also think a 'new' option should be in the tool bar.

Yes, this seem to also be inconsistently implemented. For example, with the Wall tool if you click Preferences in the mode bar, there is already an option to "Save Preferences as Wall Style." But if you go to the Window or Door tools and click the Preferences button, no such such option exists.

2 minutes ago, Boh said:

Can someone clarify the difference between an object style anda plugin style?

I don't think there is a difference?

Where are some places that the phrase "Object Style" is used? That phrase makes more sense than "Plug-In Style."

In fact, I'd propose that the phrase "plug-in" be eliminated within the context of the UI entirely; an average user doesn't know what that even refers to. They don't care how an object is coded on the back end. All the objects are simply tools that come with Vectorworks.

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Andy Broomell said:

Where are some places that the phrase "Object Style" is used?

“Object Styles” is a folder name in the User  Libraries. It contains folders for Titleblock Border styles, Data tag styles etc so they can quickly selected when the relevant tool is activated. Wall, Roof and Slab styles though don’t go there. I guess Object styles are plugin styles that use symbol resources whereas Wall, roof and slab styles are plugin styles that have there own non-symbol resources.

But yes totally agree with you. Someone learning VW must find this all terribly confusing.

On 6/5/2020 at 12:40 PM, Andy Broomell said:

I don't think there is a difference?

Where are some places that the phrase "Object Style" is used? That phrase makes more sense than "Plug-In Style."

In fact, I'd propose that the phrase "plug-in" be eliminated within the context of the UI entirely; an average user doesn't know what that even refers to. They don't care how an object is coded on the back end. All the objects are simply tools that come with Vectorworks.

Walls have Styles, but they are not Plug-in objects. Same with Roof and Slabs.

From an end user perspective it probably does not matter for most people as most users will only use use whatever comes with their version of VW.  BUT, for the people who are generating the localized versions it is very important as the can add PIOs that make sense for their markets and remove the ones that don't.

For you or I that would be good, but for a newbie, I think there needs to be at least a hint that the settings of the current object will be used as the "defaults" for the style.

But does it really matter. VW always seems to have their own ideas on things such as this. Best we can hope for is they will at least read and consider our opinions.