Copy Paste Bitmap into Photoshop

Hello,

I have been sent a VWX file with lots of hand drawn images. They are high quality PNG files with an alpha channel. I would like to work on these image files in Photoshop or Inkscape, but I'm not sure how to get them out of VWX.

I have tried a simple copy paste of the bitmap from VWX, and that doesn't work. 

I assume the Image export function isn't what I want because it will re-rasterize the image. 

Any help is appreciated.

Generally VW imports all resources and safes them in its *.vwx file format

to make data exchange between users more comfortable.

Image files will be converted while import to standard PNG or optionally JPEG in later

VW Versions. PNG is compressed but lossless, JPEG is a lossy compression

but smaller in file size.

AFAIK when importing image files you can reference these instead.

May work for underlays, not sure if applicable for image textures in RW materials.

But that will not help for images already integrated into your file.

I am not sure if there is any reasonable workaround to get these images out of

VW again with Alpha Channel, maybe by trying any copy and paste into other Apps.

Or at least re-rasterizing by exporting and recreating alpha in PS.

If you really want to work with the images, I think it is best to ask the author to

send you the images originals separately.

For Image Textures in RW Materials a possible workaround would be to export

the scene to Cinema4D, which creates a "tex" resource Folder containing all Texture

files. The PNGs should keep their Alphas. 

11 minutes ago, NickSolyom said:

Hello,

I have been sent a VWX file with lots of hand drawn images. They are high quality PNG files with an alpha channel. I would like to work on these image files in Photoshop or Inkscape, but I'm not sure how to get them out of VWX.

I have tried a simple copy paste of the bitmap from VWX, and that doesn't work. 

I assume the Image export function isn't what I want because it will re-rasterize the image. 

Any help is appreciated.

Far as I can make out, your file has embedded bitmaps of hand drawings. I'd copy an individual image, copy/paste into new VW doc, export as your preferred raster image file, o-pen in PS/Inkscape.

IF you want to work with these as vector-based files, well then ya have trace each PNG

Hi Nick!

I just tried this (in VW 2019) - I grabbed a PNG that is on a design layer and copied to my clipboard.  Opened photoshop and made a new canvas - this defaults to the size of what is on your clipboard - and then pasted and it worked a charm.  I can also paste into a new blank layer on an existing file.  What steps are you taking for your copy and paste?

• Like 1