Schematic Views labels

Almost moved to a new Schematics Views workflow from a Plot & Model View (RIP) workflow - but one issue remains.

When showing 2D labels in Plan View which both schematic view object & linked vertical truss lighting position - I get a bunch of overlaid 2D labels next to the vertical truss as shown:

SchematicViewsIssue.thumb.png.a7340913ed1b446899a4df7d5c652c85.png

Is there a way not to show the 2D labels for the vertical truss and only the schematic view? With the schematic view object showing the detail - the vertical truss would only be useful in showing the position of the truss. Of course, I need this to be in the correct position for renders and Vision also.

Cheers in advance.

The simple answer is NO, I don't think so. Not if both the Schematic View and the Actual objects are being viewed solely on design layers.

However, If you create a Design Layer Viewport Over the Schematic View and enable all the label classes and then turn off the Label Classes on the design layer you will achieve what you are looking for.

Ultimately it will be a juggling of classes and design layer viewports. If you output to sheet layers which I would HIGHLY recommend, then toggling classes in Viewports will sort out this issue once and for all.

Hope that helps

1448756739_Screenshot2020-06-04at10_04_02.thumb.png.aea773f9ac6dcd8e2dd811307d8d4256.png

Edited by markdd

Hi @markdd 

I tried to create a DLVP of just the Schematic View object - but VW would default to creating a DLVP of the vertical truss instead. But no stress - I created the DLVP of the vertical truss and made all the label classes invisible for this from within the VP - and got this which actually works better - gives a proper top view of the truss on a sheet layer.

1889591365_ScreenShot2020-06-04at21_37_06.thumb.png.87a18e1ecee55fe84ee99aaa6f6c07cc.png

Just need to structure my layers to adapt.

Something like:

1. LX Gen - for most fixtures but not vertical positions
  2. LX Verts - for 3D views of vertical LX postions (renders and Vision)
  3. LX DLVP - for showing vert positions on LX Plots, allows me to set labels to invisible for these only
  4. LX Schematics - for showing vert position detail on LX Plots

Feels like a hybrid Plot & Model/Schematic View work flow - but seems to work.

Many thanks for the inspiration!

The reason why I suggested making a viewport of the schematic view is that the DLVP will not be holding any 3D information and therefore your file will not get bogged down with repeated 3D elements. It works for me as you can see in the image I posted.  A schematic View contains no 3D information whatsoever, so you may not be getting your layer visibility quite right.

Ultimately, if you present your work using Sheet Layer Viewports, then visibility of labels should not matter on a design layer. I think that is the thinking behind the Schematic Views tool.

Hi @symo,

An alternative is to use a place-holder symbol for the vertical position (in grey below).   I turn off the class of the actual lights.  The schematic view is on it's own class.

It's because of schematic views, and this issue, that I've started to class lights by position.  Makes it much easier to hide/view vertical positions without having lots of additional Design Layers.  

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Cookie

(P.S. Hope all's well in Aotearoa) 

1562586437_Screenshot2020-06-06at17_54_39.thumb.png.bdf0ead62362500f5849d01a52bd325e.png

Kia Ora Cookie

Cheers for that.

Ive come up with workflow that doesn't add too much complexity. I create a layer called LX Vertical and put all my upright lighting and positions on this. For the sheet layer LX Plot, I just overlay a view port with uprights only - will all labels set to invisible.

Life is pretty good in NZ thanks - all things considered!