Exporting EPS / PDF with Vectors (Non-Rasterized)

trashcan

Question

Trying to export EPS to illustrator, but it comes in as a grid rather than the individual shapes coming as vectors. I'm using a sheet layer to do the export. 

I'm using these stills as an example rather than the actual project, but it creates the same result

Here's the sheet layer:

image.thumb.png.7ce2291ab1ea5737c0d63b8d621ccbe5.png

Here's how it comes into illustrator:

image.thumb.png.53681c0e88baae798a282ae9500017eb.png

As you can see, breaking out the individual shapes isn't possible - because they're broken up into quadrants:

image.thumb.png.65fd34d3cc3b6023b79e08e23de7f65d.png

Any ideas?

Thanks

Edited by trashcan
thread name

19 answers to this question

@Pat Stanford no dice

Re: PDF - here are my Vectorworks export settings:

image.thumb.png.ed7879c4fd5d4da281d524f24cdb4932.png

Here's how it comes into Illustrator (rasterized, the image bounding box is the blue line):

image.thumb.png.f8688b176df59fd1a0e0ee957c0869da.png

Re: DWG / DXF - I went back far just to test it (2010) and it opened in illustrator but the shapes still came through rasterized, here are the export settings:

image.thumb.png.7df89086e44751d6db2a28efead64b60.png

I wonder if this is a bug. I know it has been a bug in previous versions of Vectorworks. 

@JuanP is there a way to confirm if this is a bug or not? 

I really need to export Vectors so I can get it out to our digital designers and not manually redraw all the shapes... the shapes... hundreds of shapes!

Here's a similar bug from 2015:

• Like 1

Weird. I'm using VW20 SP3.1 - have jumped through all the hoops I can find and still am unable to look at the shapes as anything other than a rasterized image. Have contacted VWX support and will post my findings here. 

I wondered if it was something like the Render style, so tried exporting this (EPS):

image.thumb.png.e15eabc7f2ebaf44d71ec83d96cb5220.png

This is what it looks like both in Illustrator and Affinity Designer:

image.thumb.png.c45d6d995f83361be5213a7bba0a35c0.png

Really odd behavior!

Edited by trashcan

Oddly, if I copy the solids into Illustrator or Affinity (literally copy and paste), I get the same rasterized versions of the shapes. If I switch my viewport to hidden line and copy and paste, the shape data comes through on a copy and paste method:

image.thumb.png.fa7ae8636b4cea71f0d983c23170c561.png

This is true both in Affinity and Illustrator. 

So a workaround here is to switch your viewport to hidden line and straight up copy and paste into your vector editing software. Unfortunately, this isn't always accurate but it's better than redrawing from scratch. I have tried this with more complex shapes and it is a consistent solve, but be prepared to do some repairing 😪

@cberg the issue is that vectors only seem to get exported properly if my viewport is rendering wireframe. Any other background renderer rasterizes the image. 

Here's a little example:

These bricks are all individual 2D objects, with a solid fill and a little pen stroke. If my viewport is set to OpenGL, in Illustrator (or Affinity if you go that route), it comes through as a rasterized image, not as individual bricks. 

image.thumb.png.fb339d83b0a1cad276974d5003f3ee0f.png

If I change my viewport background renderer to wireframe, the bricks comes through as individual shapes in Illustrator.

image.thumb.png.8ecb0bb28505eb74379386f60f3f70c2.png

Oddly, I have a symbol in another viewport that in wireframe renders as a solid shape (with color) for some reason. Very confusing. 

Edited by trashcan

@cberg it's a workflow I have to use often for mapping on architectural stuff. 😭

It seems to me that there's a bug here somewhere. I've narrowed it down to a use case that always works (viewport wireframe) and many that don't (all other renderers). So at least there's that! 

Other folks don't seem to have this problem - so wondering if it's version related or there's something else I'm missing. I've also contacted support but haven't heard back... 

Hi
We also uses the Export as EPS function a lot!
In privirus versions we have never had any issuses like this, however after using VW 2020 we now have the exact same problem. 
It creates a lot of problems for us, the EPS function is quite important for us. Can't really understand why something that works fine in the privirus versions suddently dosn't work any more. 😞
We also have problems when we wan't to make a print to adobe PDF, here the programe for some reason always change the paper size to A4, eventhough we have changed the settings all the way arround to a different size. Unfortunately even VectorWorks can't seem to find a solution to that issue either. 😞