ENERGOS - Custom skylight

drelARCH

Hi community,

What is the best way to approach insertion of custom skylight (seen in attachment) into Energos calculation?

I am familiar with function 'new' > new building element and I indeed inserted these two skylights to include in my building envelope.

So what with physical object then ...Can I connect skylight objects with that items or these will not communicate and  I have to delete skylight modifiers from roof slab in order for calculation to behave correctly? Hope not...

Maybe @Luka Stefanovicor @Nikolay Zhelyazkovmight have an answer...

Thank in any case for your time a effort to help.

Snímka obrazovky 2020-06-03 o 10.23.37.png

Hi @Nikolay Zhelyazkov

Thanks for response.

I was bit unclear with description of my situation.

What you see on attachment is two holes in slab done using circular shape modifier and peace of extruded circles with glass textures.

There are actually no 3D symbol inserted into slab.

So my question is how vw deal with these holes in roof in terms of correct Energos calculation...Arent they just holes and energos numbers gets 

There are not connected (I wonder if there is possibility to connect to) with two custom skylight object that i have added through budilding elements > new dialog in energos settings...?

Ideally I wold like to map these physical object with U-values and include them into calculation...but I dont think these is possible....

Thanks.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hello @drelARCH,

If you have objects that represent these skylights you can select them, go to the Data pane of their OIP, then Attach Record and select any of the Energos object records that suits your needs, I would suggest Energos Other. Then, you can set values for area and U value in this record and it will be taken in account in the Energos calculations. This is creating one way connection, Energos Object record -> Energos calculations. This means that you cannot modify this record from the Energos Project Settings dialog and you cannot exclude it from the calculations, unless you delete the record or the object it is attached to.

Let me know if this gets the job done for you or if you have any further questions.

Best Regards,

Nikolay Zhelyazkov

• Like 1

Ok. Thanks a lot!

Great to hear that there is a solution. ...and I see that it will not show up in building elements list.

I am slowly moving into record format realm that so far was neglected from my side. I see great potential for many things in my production. 

1 minute ago, drelARCH said:

Great to hear that there is a solution. ...and I see that it will not show up in building elements list.

- It should show up in the building element list. Make sure to attach the record to the object with the glass texture that is placed in the same layer as the slab object. The object should not be in a group or in any other container. If you still cannot see it in the list, you can send me a test file and I will see what is wrong.

1 minute ago, drelARCH said:

So you say that no matter what tick mark under 'use' is it will not take into account...and it will still be included?

- Yes, the changes made in this dialog are not applied in the records that you have attached and when you reopen the dialog the changes you made to them will be gone. If you do not want a record in your calculations you have to delete it.

• Like 1

Hi @drelARCH 

Good to see the issue being solved, thanks @Nikolay Zhelyazkov Can I just suggest a workflow to this - I would create the Rooflight using Window tool (as close as you can get to what you're trying to achieve), then Convert to Group and create 3D Symbol. You can then access this Symbol through Resource Manager and attach a Record to the Symbol definition, and Edit Values so you can actually input U-Value and other fields in that Record Format so when you insert the Symbol they will be populated automatically. 

• Like 2

Depending on your requirements, if you want some more detailed calculations you can attach Energos Window Record Format to the Rooflight Symbol, and you can use the Window object before converting to group to extract the values to populate the Record Format so the Energos calculations will be more precise in that respect