Revit Importing best practices

hihosilvey

Question

Hello,

I feel like I've tried every iteration of revit import I can, they all seem to have drawbacks.  Can someone shed some light on your best practices? Or point me towards the information?

The best results I've gotten it to import as vectorworks objects.  My problem comes when there are angled walls (ex. exterior walls that join a slanted roof).

Thanks!

• Like 1

5 answers to this question

The direct Vectorworks Revit import is okay, but always has odd issues.  Such as the structural truss component below where all the uprights are offset:

image.thumb.png.f427a12f53ab633861ebde5778f4add9.png

We have the best luck exporting from Revit to IFC, then importing the IFC file (same uprights from IFC import below) 

image.thumb.png.b21b32f9d8ac6fff307bfba72675c4f4.png

Still find issues sometimes, such as this roof deck that is an extrusion from some reason:

image.thumb.png.880fe6a4302095458373771072bd75bb.png

When importing direct from Revit in Vectorworks, these are the settings we find work the best:

image.thumb.png.5cabaac43e96646ef523c2ed20276273.png

For 2D work/backgrounds, we always export the DWG from Revit, then import the DWG into VW.  This process seems pretty solid for 2D.

• Like 1