Andy Broomell

Texture transparency: semi-transparent pixels darken

Posted (edited)

Here's an issue I've had for years... I'm curious if anyone knows why it happens or if there's a fix.

The basis of the problem is that areas of a texture that are semitransparent seem to also get darker in value when rendered. For example, here I have an image prop that is a soft-edged yellow circle (imagine perhaps it's the halo around a light or something). It should look like this:

1591789623_ScreenShot2020-05-28at12_08_29PM.thumb.png.8e574727489dd01fa89a12904cf28649.png

But when rendered in Renderworks it looks like this:

2085523248_ScreenShot2020-05-28at12_06_01PM.thumb.png.5298120d05b35b6c34db7a63c30a7cb3.png

The pixels should only range from yellow to white, where is that darkness coming from?

Vectorworks file: 

Transparency_Issue_v2020.vwx

Transparency_Issue_v2018.vwx

Edited by Andy Broomell

If I change the colour shader to just plain yellow and then I get this result. Do you think that there is some sort of "interference" with the image pixels from one image to another that is causing the shadow effect?

Screenshot 2020-05-28 at 21.49.36.png

It does seem to be something like that. Strange...

I wonder if someone from Vectorworks can elaborate on what's happening with the combo of the two images' pixels.

I should mention that I'm not typically using a simple solid-color image like in the example, but in this case changing the Color shader to plain Color would be a workaround.

Is ambient occlusion coming into play here? I wouldnt think so, but it looks like it. *longshot