Slow loading & hanging

David B. Vogel

Question

This has been plaguing me for a few months now and the university IT folks have no idea how to help. My stats:

• VW v.2018 SP6 (Build 465771)
  • MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2018)
  • 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5
  • 16 GB Memory, 2133 MHz LPDDR3
  • Intel Iris Plus Graphics 655 1536 MB
  • Mac OS 10.14.6 Mojave
  • My campus runs in a Windows environment, with OneDrive, Outlook and Office 365 always running. Those have also given me a lot of grief.

VW takes about 8-10 minutes to load (blank page), and while usually it briefly functions normally it eventually starts to hang, sometimes taking 30 seconds to respond to a mouse click (ex: selecting or de-selecting objects). Occasionally VW freezes completely, but usually I can wait out the delay and save my work. But one hour of drafting may take me eight hours to complete. Has anyone seen this kind of behavior and can you suggest where I should look for relief?

2 answers to this question

Did VW ever run smoothly on this machine? I know VW tries to "Phone Home" to check for a valid serial number. Is something in the networks blocking this and making VW wait for a response that is never coming?

Can you take the machine home (off the University network) and see if you get better results? Can you reboot and run only VW and see if you get better response?

Troubleshooting 101.

1. Reset Vectorworks Preferences.  Go to Vectorworks Preferences and click the Reset button in the bottom left corner. This will return to factory defaults and you will have to reset to your liking.

2. Rename the Vectorworks User Folder and Restart VW.  Your Home Folder:Library:Application Support:Vectorworks:2020 Rename that folder to 2020-Old or something. (Library is hidden by default. Go to the Go menu and hold down the Option key to get there) Restart VW. If the problem goes away it is a problem in your User folder. You can either just use the newly created one or you can copy items from the old one testing after every batch (folder) to try and find where the problem is.

3. Reinstall VW.

4. Create a new User Account and try and run VW from there. If it works there is a problem in your user somewhere.

Thanks for these tips. There's no improvement at home/outside the firewall. VW did run nicely when I got the computer, and after the first rebuild of the computer seven months later. I haven't done the "Troubleshooting 101" suggestions yet but I'll try all those before having the computer rebuilt again. Funnily enough, while typing this I was interrupted twice by my computer telling me the hard disc is full (it is not), and that Outlook is quitting and moving functions online. So maybe it is a computer issue after all.