Push + Pull Within An Object?

trashcan

Question

8 answers to this question

Bad work around, but select and Group the included object. Edit the Group. Do the Push Pull. UnGroup.

Hopefully someone else will give us the magic keyboard combination to select an object completely enclosed in another.

Might also be a really good Wish to submit. If you do submit, I suggest setting the outside object to No Fill and a thick line and the inside object to a noticeable color in the example.

• Like 1

@Pat Stanford the two objects are together in a group. The work around of grouping each object and then double clicking worked. Good call. 

@markdd Pressing the option button allows me to select the back faces of the bigger pyramid but won't let me select that face of the smaller pyramid (when viewing from the front). 

Check out the behavior here. You can see VW occasionally highlighting the target face but it won't stay selected. Strangely, if I reverse the view and press the option key it works.  I figured this out while making this recording:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6eq8k7g9yt726sc/PushPullExample.mov?dl=0

I think Pat's Group solution is the only reliable answer. Dare I say it, it's only a couple of keystrokes and as long as you have groups set to show other objects, then you are able to easily use the outer geometry as a reference. 

It would be a great wish say to have a double-tap of the option key to make the tool see one level further. 

How about a script to group a selected object and then enter the group's edit window in one action. You could make that a command and assign it to a hotkey.....

• Like 1