Vectorworks is (not responding) when exporting MVR File

matdogger

Question

Having an issue exporting a MVR file for vision. The project is semi large, at least with the architecture. I tried having only necessary layers open, but it gets to about 75%-85% and then doesn't respond. Anyone know what I could try differently?

I'm using a student version of 2020 on my Razor Blade i7 and have 16g ram, so I would think that processing would not be an issue, but I could be wrong.

VW File here

5 answers to this question

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

@matdogger I have just had a quick look through your file, from what I can see the the base problem is that almost all the truss used in this design has been custom created and the geometry is far to complex. Complex geometry has a huge performance impact in Spotlight, Vision and will affect the MVR export process as well.

This often happens when a symbol is created by importing a  DWG based symbol or 'block' from the manufacturers website. Most manufacturer provided DWG truss symbols have an insane level of detail in the geometry, for example the connecting plates at the ends of the trusses have the company logo etched into them. Which for Lighting design, pre-vis and technical planning is just not needed. Another issue is that instead of being a single object DWG blocks often import as nested groups of groups of objects, so a single truss symbol can consist of close to a 100 separate objects. 

There are a couple of solutions that you can do,

The easiest is to swap the custom truss symbols out for symbols that are in our libraries, not ideal I know since we only have a limited James Thomas library, so you would have to use another brand and or model to represent the trusses

A second option would be to use the older straight truss tool to create new symbols based on the James Thomas truss measurements

The last would be to edit your truss symbols to simplify the geometry, delete any unnecessary geometry (the symbol i looked at for example had re-enforcing plates inside the truss chords), convert all geometry objects into generic solids (Modify-convert-convert to generic solids) and then combine the generic solids into a single object (model-add solids). You will probably also have to run the un-group command multiple times before you can access all of the geometry in the symbols

• Like 1