9 answers to this question

This is driving me nuts again. 

Pyramid is supposed to be transparent:

image.thumb.png.2ff646c314f7dd7b20ffeff290274948.png

Texture details:

image.thumb.png.6c00fe7db937d9d39acaa02a130d5414.png

Class details:

image.thumb.png.e4bff26bf0de8e6a003160505fdf3a94.png

Pyramid should be transparent in OpenGL, but appears to only show as transparent using a RW style (I.e., final quality):

image.thumb.png.819800b3ab112b48bb735590ebb27fe8.png

How do I get this to work with Open GL again? Or... is this a bug. Have restarted VWX etc. 

Are you mixing a color into the transparency?  If you're only keeping the color set to white, then you might a well just use Plain transparency instead.

Also, one difference to note between the two methods is that the percentages are reversed - for one, fully opaque is 0% and for the other, fully opaque is 100%. But once you inverse the numbers, the transparency amount works the same between the two (when the color is set to white).

Edited by Andy Broomell
  • Like 1

Andy, maybe you can clarify Transparency by Color for us.

I make a 3D object and pick a color from the color picker. I think create a new texture and pick the same color for the transparency. I set the percentage to 50%.

In OpenGL I get a fully opaque object with zero transparency. Set the transparency to Plain and it works as expected. Rendering in Renderworks also works using the texture set to Transparency by Color.

Is the Transparency by Color only impacting pixels that happen to have exactly the correct shade in the rendered image? Or am I missing something else?

• Like 1

Honestly I don't use Color transparency much, and same as you guys I find that it doesn't show up in OpenGL.

Color transparency is not choosing a color to be transparent. Rather, this option blends an additional color into the object when rendered. For example, the two objects below have the same "Color" (blue), but the one on the right has the Color Transparency set to a yellow color.

140907969_ScreenShot2020-07-02at11_10_18AM.thumb.png.22d596ff839326ea3e4fbaebcb043112.png

Using white in the Color Transparency options has no additional blending effect.

(At least this is my understanding of it; if anyone has more experience I'd be curious to here how it's used).

• Like 1