imageprop texture problem

I'm not entirely sure, but I would guess that the crossed planes which make up the props are not playing well with Twin Motion's rendering. If it was me I would try using the trees and plants provided in Twin Motion, and only use building models exported from Vw's. FWIW, in my limited messing around with TM I noticed that the trees in TM will pick up on seasonal/weather and wind changes built into the program (which are super cool!!) and I would bet that imported trees will not behave like that. Just a thought.

3 hours ago, CipesDesign said:

I'm not entirely sure, but I would guess that the crossed planes which make up the props are not playing well with Twin Motion's rendering. If it was me I would try using the trees and plants provided in Twin Motion, and only use building models exported from Vw's. FWIW, in my limited messing around with TM I noticed that the trees in TM will pick up on seasonal/weather and wind changes built into the program (which are super cool!!) and I would bet that imported trees will not behave like that. Just a thought.

Thanks for your reply.

It's not the crossed planes feature of imageprops, that works as expected in TwinMotion.

It has something to do with the alpha channel or some other aspect of how textures are handed off to C4D export.

I am pretty sure of this based on a series of experiments I posted in the other forum, but I am only a novice in this regard.  Yes, Imageprops will not adopt seasonal/weather behavior in TwinMotion...that requires special 3D models designed to take on those characteristics and a separate issue all together.

Anyhow, this may have broader implications beyond plants.  It also seems to effect the use of Decals in non-plant objects, hence my interest in understanding how it works.  I have around 50 plants I am preparing for a custom library and I want to make sure the texture settings for the image props are optimized before doing any further work.  Additionally, if one uses Decals in VW for various effects, say placing a rug on a floor or simulating graffiti on a wall, you wouldn't want to rework that in TwinMotion.

An example, using plant textures (or any texture for that matter) as a Decal on a Nurbs Surface...

The texture mapping and Alpha Channel are as desired in VW.  When you import into Twinmotion, things get a little crazy, this time with texture tiling of the decal.  Note, the one in the middle does not display this tiling because the decal texture is larger than the surface it is mapped to.  The left and right examples are textures that are smaller than the surface they are mapped to, hence tiling.

343015609_ScreenShot2020-05-23at11_41_31AM.thumb.png.85aacee2d751d984efc48fc3fdb12203.png

713088590_ScreenShot2020-05-23at11_40_40AM.thumb.png.e988b1a56834df169a66c70346e733ba.png

The tree on the left was configured with tiling turned off, yet it tiles in Twinmotion.  The grassy pant on the right is with tiling turned on.  It doesn't seem to matter, it all still ends up tiling in TwinMotion.  

Maybe I'm doing something wrong, but I imagine I'm not the only one interested in developing clean workflows within VW so exporting to TwinMotion is less painful.  I prefer to do the majority of my work in VW and then do some plant replacements in TwinMotion for final rendering.  I'm really not to keen on the idea of building a bunch of stuff in VW and having it look right only for it to break in TwinMotion due to some obscure method of handing off textures and decals.  Fortunately, I am in the experimental stage right now and not applying this to actual projects.  I'm just hoping this is user error on my part and not some broader technical issue that can not be resolved easily.

Edited by jeff prince

You are probably way past this, but have your read the VW Help section on "Using an image in a texture shader"?

From that it appears that you can use either an Alpha Channel OR a Color to be transparent. If you are bringing in different types of images and trying to treat them all the same you might be causing yourself problems.

3 hours ago, Pat Stanford said:

You are probably way past this, but have your read the VW Help section on "Using an image in a texture shader"?

From that it appears that you can use either an Alpha Channel OR a Color to be transparent. If you are bringing in different types of images and trying to treat them all the same you might be causing yourself problems.

Yeah, I’m past that.  I followed the directions in the help menu to a tee in creating the examples on the other thread.  I have been using either an Alpha Channel OR a Color to be transparent in these tests illustrated in the other thread.  I’m sure it’s something simple, but not outwardly apparent, with the alpha channel or image format.  How else can I explain the VW material for a plant behaving correctly, but the images shaders I have created misbehaving so badly.  I just wish I knew where to look and what to fix.  All this works in every other program I use, except VW 😞

• 2 months later...