Image based textures keep disappearing

Greetings. I’ve been running into issues with textures created with images. I typically use a lot of these in my work. For some reason, when rendering on the design layer, certain of these textures will disappear. It often happens every time I render. The solution seems to be to select edit for the texture specific texture to open the edit dialogue box, and then close it while doing no actual editing. 

this seems to rectify itself once I use a RenderWorks camera to create a viewport on a sheet layer for exporting.  I have closed and reopened files in question, restarted VW, and restarted the computer to no avail. Unfortunately, it is a huge waste of time in the design process. Has anyone else seen something like this?  

And one other related issue; occasionally I’ll have an image based texture with a reflection added. The issue would be the image disappears and the reflection stays. For instance, instead of a nice glossy wood floor, you have a really bright white floor with a sheet of ice on it. 

Any suggestions?