Insert Deadhang Bridle - misnamed button

In my humble opinion the button labeled 'Click to insert a dead hang bridle' is misnamed and causes confusion.

As a qualified & ticketed class1 rigger, I would opine that there is no such thing as a 'deadhang bridle' (happy to be corrected of course).  In my world, a bridle has 2 or more 'legs'.

What this button should refer to is 'Click to insert a deadhang dropper'.

A 'Deadhang dropper' is usually used to extend the length of the hoist chain down from the rigging point if the hoist chain is too short for the height of the venue roof.  It can also be used from the truss up to the hoist hook if the motor needs to be 'out of camera shot'.

A Dropper (or 'Stinger') is usually FSWR with a thimbled eye on either end.

1487111635_ScreenShot2020-05-21at14_11_45pm.thumb.png.fcec3113549494466b76880ff5eefeed.png

• Like 1
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

The reason that we have named the Deadhang mode of the insert Bridle tool this way is to avoid confusion with the older insert Deadhang mode of the hoist tool, that is still in the rigging toolset (to access it right click on the insert hoist tool)

Also you need to bear in mind that the terms 'Dropper' and 'Stinger' are not universal rigging terms, internationally and can also cause confusion.

I think renaming it to 'Deadhang mode' would be a better option, as it would avoid any potential confusion related to dropper or stinger. However I wouldn't expect this to be changed unless the insert hoist tool is reworked.

The ability to add a steel or dropper to go from the hoist to the truss would be a good enhancement, I'll make an enhancement request for it.

Is it possible to rename some tools or options based on the region?

Similar to versions for different languages.

The stair tool has terminology that is not region specific either, ie: the "run" of a stair in the U.S. is known as the "going" in many places.

(sorry to use the stair tool as an example, sore subject)

Just a thought

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

I doubt it,

Normally the only time these names or dialogue options are localized in this way is when VW is translated into another language, and this is done by the local distributor, not by VW.

You could make an enhancement request through your local distributor to have this changed but it would be changed for everyone using the English language version.

• Marissa Farrell changed the title to Insert Deadhang Bridle - misnamed button