Long(ish) Term Goal to make every resource more intuitive

Jim Smith

Question

This wish is to make every object's graphics to be edited graphically. One may do something similar to a symbol now, where a double click allows one to edit the symbol. Here are two Examples:

Doors:

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 17.50.01 (2).png

Elevation marker

Screen Shot 2020-05-20 at 17.55.23 (2).png

Edited by Jim Smith
  • Like 2

3 answers to this question

Not to beat a dead horse, but sheesh! Why are there two systems that don't make ANY sense for sizing stuff that should be identical?

The font size in both instances are 6 point.  A marker size of 4 produces a circle of 600mm or 4mm on the page for the Detail Callout that's generated from a Detail Viewport, but a Reference Marker Detail Callout is completely different with a 2D detail scale factor of 0.6.

Also while I appreciate being able to change the Font size from the Font menu, seem like one should also be able to choose the font size in the OIP no?

Here are the graphic output for a Detail Call out:

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 15.40.39 (2).png

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 15.42.50 (2).png

Now here are the details for a Reference Marker Detail Callout object:

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 15.41.40 (2).png

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 15.42.21 (2).png

Edited by Jim Smith

I think it might come back the the core programme just not offering very good guidance or structure to Object makers. The scripting support is very generic so each author invents user inaction to suit what they are doing and no more. 

If the system provided more user interaction standards that scripting could adopt in use I'd think we see far more consistency. Indeed I think it would have many benefits to speed, quality and user discoverability.  Might even reduce development overhead too.

• Like 1
On 5/26/2020 at 8:51 PM, Jim Smith said:

Not to beat a dead horse, but sheesh! Why are there two systems that don't make ANY sense for sizing stuff that should be identical?

The font size in both instances are 6 point.  A marker size of 4 produces a circle of 600mm or 4mm on the page for the Detail Callout that's generated from a Detail Viewport, but a Reference Marker Detail Callout is completely different with a 2D detail scale factor of 0.6.

Also while I appreciate being able to change the Font size from the Font menu, seem like one should also be able to choose the font size in the OIP no?

Here are the graphic output for a Detail Call out:

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 15.40.39 (2).png

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 15.42.50 (2).png

Now here are the details for a Reference Marker Detail Callout object:

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 15.41.40 (2).png

Screen Shot 2020-05-26 at 15.42.21 (2).png

Totally agree with you. Have lost any hope that these kind of things will be addressed any time soon though. Instead they'll introduce another kind of marker with yet another slightly different way of setting the parameters.

Most of those marker objects are also a nightmare to edit graphically, partly due to inconsistencies in behaviour between outwardly similar objects.

• Like 2