A Toggle between Annotation & Design Layer

Jim Smith

Question

At times when I'm checking a Drawing Set prior to issuing, I generally count on an hour or more to try and catch some of those things that time forgot. Often this means moving between a Viewport's Design Layer & Annotation Layer several times.

Here's my wish:

A Toggle Mode that would allow one to move between a Viewport's Design Layer & Annotation Layer without having to exit one then open the other.

15 answers to this question

That is a good idea. However there is a right click option to edit design layer whilst  in annotations and then I think the “return to viewport” option in the top right of the screen takes you back to annotations again.

The other option is to use multiple views.

Just curious.  If you had multiple views set up, and you split your screen evenly between a sheet and a design/model view, what would you need or want to toggle?  The viewport might be out of date (in section) as you update the model?  But even then, one can even update the viewport while in the viewport annotations via the navigation tab... 

Would you like to have the annotations turn on and off while in a viewport?  Or is there some other function you are looking to achieve?

Edited by cberg
clarity

The functionality that appeals the most to me is to be able to move directly from viewport > annotations layer > design layer > viewport (or in another sequence). Having to round trip to the viewport each time becomes a slog when working on a drawing with many viewports. Perhaps a (floating?) bar that stays with you as you navigate so that one mouse click moves you from say annotations to design or vice versa.

Curious, you mention annotations layer...are you putting annotations somewhere else besides in the viewport annotations?  as Boh reccommends, you can enter the design layer from the viewport and come right back to the viewport when you are done.

Edited by grant_PD

I maybe wrong but I think v2021 allows you to split up the nav palette so making it easier to flip between vp’s, dl’s, sl’s etc 

This will be handy as for 3D viewports I avoid using the edit dl option and prefer to use the nav palette to switch to a dl. If it’s a section vp I might use edit section in place.

My bad. As rule I place annotations only on the viewport annotations layer. Brain was not talking to fingers.

The gist of my earlier post: Say I am in viewport annotations mode editing a dimension and I notice an object on the design layer that needs adjustment. I now have to return to the viewport, right click and and select the design layer, then return to the viewport and then reactivate the viewport annotations mode to pick cup where I left off. It would be nice if there were a floating bar (or similar function) that followed my travels such that I could directly jump back to viewport annotations from the design layer, or to crop mode, etc.

Using a split screen allows you to do just that.  On my right, I am in a viewport annotation.  On the left, the design layer for that area.  In this drawing I have made the notes in my design layer, but I could just have easily done the annotations in the viewport.  No toggling.... though you have to click from window to window.  You could just as easily be in a model using section in place, or whatever. 

Floating view panes are a little less stable and harder to navigate. 

1706643897_ScreenShot2020-05-21at5_06_15PM.thumb.png.b07d841cb2bb8b713aad29a7cec4a00a.png

Edited by cberg
Typo
  • Like 2
9 minutes ago, cberg said:

Floating view panes are a little less stable and harder to navigate. 

I find some keybd shortcuts don’t work either. If you have dual monitors I suggest put the nav palette and RM on a different monitor so more realestate for split screen .. 

• Like 1