Title Block Border Drawing Stamp - Checkbox in OIP

_James

Question

Our title block is set to show "DRAFT" in big red letters properly positioned as part of the object style. 

It would be great to turn this on via a checkbox in the OIP rather than click "drawing stamp", wait for the dialog to open, and click the "display drawing stamp" checkbox in the dialog.

• Like 3

8 answers to this question

Not as good your check box, but here is a script to toggle the Drawing Stamp.

You could make a PIO Command of this, add it to your workspace and then assign a keyboard shortcut or add it to your right click menu.

Procedure ToggleDrawingStamp;
{MAy 19, 2020}
{©2020 Patrick Stanford pat@coviana.com}
{Licensed under the GNU Lesser General Public License}

{Toggles the Drawing Stamp on and off in the first selected title block.}

{No Warranty Expressed or Implied. Test before using on critical data.}
{May cause headache or gastrointestial distress. Consult a doctor if}
{using this script lasts for more the four hours.}

var	S1:String;
	H1:Handle;

Begin
H1:=FSActLayer;
If ((H1<> Nil) and (GetName(GetParametricRecord(H1))='Title Block Border')) then
Begin
	S1:=GetRField(FSActLayer, 'Title Block Border', 'Display Drawing Stamp');
	If S1='True' then
	SetRField(FSActLayer, 'Title Block Border', 'Display Drawing Stamp', 'False')
	Else
	SetRField(FSActLayer, 'Title Block Border', 'Display Drawing Stamp', 'True');
	ResetObject(FSActLayer);
End
Else AlertInform('Title Block Border must be selected.','Select a single title block and run again', True);
End;

Run(ToggleDrawingStamp);

• Like 1

I know there are some advantages to using the tool but having attempted to use it over the years I prefer to have Viewport with a Title Block Symbol. To change things like DRAFT or CONSTRUCTION or TURN ON STAMP we just change the Classes on one viewport then use the Eyedropper tool & it takes about a minute to change a whole set. I just feel more in control if I use a Symbol as I have immediate control of a series of graphic objects. From my PoV the Tool is too much like a database & programming. I do enough of that. I got into this racket so I could draw stuff. 

@_James I get your idea, but I might use the tool if it were something one could just click on and change graphics. 

But each to their own.

You can put objects in the TBB object in classes also.

TBB is actually really nice. Just another one of those things that long time users already have a way that works so making the switch is difficult.

The ability to automatically take the sheet number and sheet title from the Sheet Layer name makes it much easier. Change the sheet and the TBB automatically updates. You can set the style so that items you want to be able to change on a sheet are changeable while other items are defined by the style.

The greatest advocate for Classes in the LA Users Group is a guy who fought using them for a decade. One we finally convinced him that they were useful he jumped in with both feet. He just didn't want to change the way he was use to working.

If Symbols work for you great. If they have limitations, take a look at the TBB. You might be pleasantly surprised once you get over the learning curve.

• Like 2

We also found the "Title Block Border Settings" dialogues cumbersome so we created a custom data tag attached to TBB's which makes it really quick to edit sheet data - simply double clicking on the data tag. We also have some additional custom fields like add to drawing list and production schedule which we can toggle on and off via the data tag. Note that we don't use the drawing stamp functionality at all as the font size gets confused when using scaling in the sheet print setup (Windows problem as I understand it).

image.thumb.png.fecd5ee99788f4fb2c815abc039aa45b.png

• Like 2

@Pat Stanford - this is great, thank you!

@Jim Smith - thanks, but we're pretty well entrenched with the Title Block Border. Like Pat says, it's actually pretty good. Whilst a bit cumbersome we do find it adds value - particularly for keeping track of issues and revisions, being able to batch edit via worksheets etc.

@Boh - this is a really good idea. I do miss the old title block border object when the dialog was much more simple like the one shown in your picture, although I don't think i'd go back to the reduced functionality of the old one.

Hey @_James. You’ve slightly misunderstood. We use the new TBB and can use its full functionality such as revision tracking etc. We have simply tagged it with a custom tag so we can quickly toggle sheet data. You’re original question was to do with quick edits of the drawing stamp so I was demonstrating that could be done through a data tag.