Lights not displaying

Rickerly

Question

Hello, I currently have Vw 2020 spotlight (SP3) and something weird is happening with fixtures when I select from the recourse manager. When I place the light on my drawing, I see the wireframe design as it follows my mouse until I click to place it down. After that the light goes missing. It can be on a fresh document and used ones and still, I can’t see any fixtures. I can see and place truss and other items but not lights. I can drag my mouse over the area that I placed the light and the menu will say that it sees the fixture and I can edit attributes and I can click further and see the the image from the recourse library in that menu but still nothing in the sheet. I have placed truss and other objects into the same class and design layer as the light and the situation doesn’t change. If you could help that would be wonderful. 

8 answers to this question

The preferences were set to incest lighting devices to active class. I tried changing it to the specific class and changing the attributes to as you said ( which I'm hoping were the setting right underneath it) and still nothing. Something I found which is weird is that when I place a fixture and edit it in the objects menu, the colour for the fixture is set to white. I am not sure if that is normal or weird but when I did change it to black, it didn't change anything

Screenshot.PNG

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Check your class visibility in general. Try turning all the classes on.  Most of the symbol geometry is drawn in the None class but there may be other classes.

Till you get it working turn off "Modify lighting instrument color" Having it off will remove an extra step is diagnosing the problem.

From the Resource Manager, double click on a lighting device symbol and then switch the the standard symbol insertion tool and place the symbol.

This will help you see if there is some strange class settings.

Also, what happens in a new blank document? Be sure not to use a template file when testing.

9 hours ago, markdd said:

What are the Attributes of the Test Class?

Its currently set to Show/Snap/Modify others.

7 hours ago, klinzey said:

Check your class visibility in general. Try turning all the classes on.  Most of the symbol geometry is drawn in the None class but there may be other classes.

Till you get it working turn off "Modify lighting instrument color" Having it off will remove an extra step is diagnosing the problem.

From the Resource Manager, double click on a lighting device symbol and then switch the the standard symbol insertion tool and place the symbol.

This will help you see if there is some strange class settings.

Also, what happens in a new blank document? Be sure not to use a template file when testing.

I've turned off Modify lighting instrument color and restored those settings back to default. when I used the Standard symbol tool, it did actually work.

I am using a fresh black document to test everything now. 

@klinzey So with the standard symbol tool working, does this mean that there is something weird going on with the lighting instrument tool? or is it something else? am I stuck with just using the standard symbol tool for now? Also, is there a way to factory reset my settings and get rid of all my user preferences to give it a "fresh start" without uninstalling everything and reinstalling it?