What is the best workflow for customized device appearance?

To preface, I'm working in a new document created using the ConnectCAD.sta template file, the file is the attached ConnectCAD_14May2020.vwx

I would like to schematic devices to conform to a standard appearance, but when I start modifying the components of the System Symbols folder I introduce problems. 

A customized dev_label_xxx symbol works great, and to change the font of the sockets and customized skt_text_L and _R look good, until it doesn't- new devices come in at very odd dimensions, so I must be modifying something else when doing that. 

Further, is there a way to determine and constrain the width of a device so my dev_label_xxx can fit?

1087408322_ScreenShot2020-05-15at09_23_44.thumb.png.e5dec28f42bbbde315f4eaf13657aa2c.png

ConnectCAD_14May2020.vwx

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Thomas

You have the snap grid spacing set to 1mm. ConnectCAD uses the snap grid to determine the spacing of sockets and the default width of devices etc. Device Builder devices start at 6 grid wide and expand if the text overlaps.

I think if you set the snap grid to around 4mm everything will look nice again.

Conrad