Devices Disappearing when Opening 2019 ConnectCAD drawings in VW 2020

Hey all. Just popped open a couple older ConnectCAD document files in VW2020. While all my lines and connectors and names show up, the actual 'device' box and subsequent connectors do not. I tried turning on every class and layer I had, but no avail. Am I missing something silly here? Same result in two different drawings. 

Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 12.14.05 PM.png

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Ah, now that might explain a lot.

But it's the reverse of what you think. I reckon that Migrate may have moved a bunch of old Vectorscript plug-ins into you user path and generally speaking whatever is in the user path overrides the application. The only thing that may be useful to move over from 2019 is the contents of the ConnectCAD_Data folder i.e. any custom signal and connector types. Maybe some symbols from your old template later on.

So start with a clean VW2020 install with ConnectCAD activated. First try the basics, New File from template get a feel for the new stuff. Then open one of your 2019 files and see how the update goes. This should all be handled automatically on file open. Anything that doesn't update properly is something we want to have a look at.

All the plugins bar a very few are now implemented in SDK and are part of the Vectorworks application so you don't need to every touch them again.

That probably clears up the mystery but do let me know how it goes.

Conrad

• 1 month later...

Hey there. Just did a fresh install of VW2020, ConnectCAD activated.

Same issue.

New file or old. It's just like the plug-ins folder isn't there. the "new" CC content like 'TV' seems to work. But Devicebuilder and most of the other core functionality doesn't show up. Any help is appreciated.

Screen Shot 2020-06-19 at 11.40.03 AM.png

OK. i just ran an OS update, and upgraded to VW2020. I did this fresh, on a new machine. I declined the 'migration tool' when I first launched Vectorworks. So this is a fresh, from scratch install.

I have no ConnectCAD tools in my install.

I open an existing drawing, and it exihibits the same behavior. Devices are gone, lines remain.

So couple questions:

Whats the best way to get ConnectCAD installed into a fresh version of 2020?

Kinda stuck here.

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

Hi Kelly

This looks like an old workspace of yours. Have you tried selecting the ConnectCAD workspace supplied with the software? Generally the new SDK-based commands will have different internal IDs from the old Vectorscript. So, if you want to customise the workspace better start again from a copy of the standard one.

Let me know if that fixes it.

Conrad

Yeah. thats the strange part. I don't even see the ConnectCAD template OR the ConnectCAD workspace on a fresh install. Fresh install loaded up SP4, so I'd expect all the ConnectCAD stuff to be installed. I did NOT choose to use the migration manager on this install.

Kelly.

Screen Shot 2020-06-20 at 10.14.42 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-20 at 10.14.26 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-20 at 10.15.23 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-06-20 at 10.15.48 AM.png

Edited by tekbench

I even went as far as to delete all my VW2017, 2018, 2019 folders that were laying around. Emptied recycle, restarted. So I should be clear of any old stuff. I've lost my "Kellys Workhorse" workspace, so I'm pretty confident all my custom stuff is gone (and thats fine, I did back all that up off this box. Wanted all fresh). EDIT - dunno what rm2017 - rm2019 are for. I didn't delete those.

Screen Shot 2020-06-20 at 10.18.04 AM.png

Edited by tekbench

cool. I cut a ticket on Friday after posting here for that reason. I will follow up via phone on Monday with support.

Thanks Conrad! I always appreciate your willingness to step in. Been that way since my first CC purchase.

Vectorworks Corp (if you're reading this):

Make sure you take care of Conrad. dude has put in hours troubleshooting for me over the years. Huge help and I would still be stuck in AutoCAD bumbling about with dumb lines and unrelated wirelists.

Kelly.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

For those interested, I'm wrapping this up.

My license for ConnectCAD wasn't working correctly. Simple as that. We had purchased VW with ConnectCAD right as the transition from third party software to Vectorworks software, so for whatever reason it just didn't do whatever license gymnastics were necessary.

I use a custom workspace, and SOME of the older tools worked just fine. So that ended up being a big red herring.

Jeff, our rep sorted it out post haste and got the updated license info out to me.

All good here.

Kelly.

• Like 1