Lighting fixture does not look properly hung in 3d view

Sal

Hello!

When I'm hanging a lighting instrument in 2D  E.g. on a pipe or truss ,  I can see that in 3d view  the the C-clamp does not hang properly around the tube of the pipe/truss, (especially with truss - a bit less with lighting pipes).

Is there an option  to make sure that when I'm hanging a lighting instrument  in 2d top plan , it's  also hanging correctly in 3d? 

Many thanks,

Sal.

Yes

There are controls over the 3D portion with the Z rotation in the Object Information Palette . The 2d portion now has a custom Plan rotation option so hopefully these options will give you what you need.

If you want the 3d Hook-clamp to be turned up/downstage with the body pointing SL/SR then you will need to add a focus point.

Edited by markdd

I have noticed the Z option where I can rotate the C-clamp and it works.

However my problem is slightly different-  where I hang a fixture in 2d top plan following the red rhombus snapping position, which assume it should  give a guide to where to hang an instrument, I then notice that in 3d view the C-clamp (with the fixture) is not hanging on the truss or pipe, but at the bottom, top or inside. I can actually see the I have  problem mainly with trusses as with pipes seems to be working following the red rhombus guide.

So I was wondering if there is an option to facilitate the  hanging of the instruments to make sure they match in both 2d and 3d. Obviously I can adjust the instrument in 3d, but it's a bit annoying as I usually position most of the lights in 2d view.  

Either the 3D component of the symbol is not set up correctly or the hanging point in the truss is not set up correctly.

The symbol is fairly easy to check. Edit the symbol via the resource manager, selecting 3D component. Check that the hanging point is at z=0 (the geometry representing the hanging hardware is centered on y=0 and z =0)

Similarly, you can check that the truss symbols have the insertion point centered around the chord of the truss.

If you're finding issues with certain symbols report them via https://www.vectorworks.net/support/bugsubmit 

• Vectorworks, Inc Employee

All of the truss that ships with the software in the Resource Manager has the insertion point at the bottom of the lower chord or Z=0.  If you do decide to adjust the insertion point of the truss in the 3D component I would make a duplicate symbol first and do this in case any of the auto connect settings get messed up.

I've tried different trusses and the only way to make sure the instrument is hanging correctly in 3d is to move the insertion point until I can match the correct hanging position in 3d - For example a Tomcat triangular truss needed only an adjustment on Z to allow the instrument to hang correctly on the bottom cord, but other trusses needed more adjustments and the insertion point that I see in edit mode does not match with the real insertion point. In most of the cases the  insertion point is at the boom centre of the truss (looking from side left or right view) and to match one of the cord of the truss it needs to be shift left or right until the clamp match the cord. I hope this makes sense.

Is this normal? Or is there a problem with the symbols? I don't have any problem with lighting  pipes. 

I'm using VW 2020. I've also attached a screenshot. 

Many thanks,

Sal.

Screen Shot 2020-05-15 at 16.32.23.png

There is an anomaly/inconsistency between lighting pipes and truss symbols. Its a real pain. It would be great if the developers could find a solution to this. Unless I am very much mistaken, if you have lights suspended with hook clamps on Truss objects, then you will need to adjust then up by 24mm(1")( the radius of the chord) after placing them.

Lighting Pipes place their Z origin in the middle of the Pipe whereas Truss objects see Z=0 as the underside of the truss object. The Lighting Pipes/Ladders also have loci along the centre of the chord which help matters considerably.

What you are seeing with your lighting instruments centering on the Downstage or Upstage edge is a problem with the instrument snapping to the 2D geometry of the truss walls. To help mitigate this - turn on Snap to Offset in your smart edge settings and set it to 24mm (1inch). This handles most truss chords well enough.

511264176_Screenshot2020-05-15at16_44_56.thumb.png.8ea6d59d817a2c44de43462ed2cc0eb6.png

Edited by markdd
  • Vectorworks, Inc Employee

That is normal for truss.  The insertion point of all of the truss in the Resource Manager is bottom center when viewed from the side.  It just happens that triangle truss in the point down direction puts the insertion point on the chord and not in between the chords.