Help applying textures to Imported 3DS or CAD files

Question

I am an interior designer and often use imported files from furniture suppliers to go into my visuals. When i click into the object, these are mostly made up of 3D polygons and I need to apply a texture which represents the fabric I have chosen. I have attached some screen grabs of the object I am currently working on which will not adopt the texture.

Any help appreciated.

Screenshot 2020-05-14 at 15.51.09.png

Screenshot 2020-05-14 at 15.51.18.png

Screenshot 2020-05-14 at 15.51.40.png

2 answers to this question

The grey part of the chair is presumably a "Mesh" object. A Mesh is a special type of object that contains multiple "3D Polygon" objects within it, sort of like a group that glues all the 3D Polygons together. Accordingly, if you double click a Mesh you end up "inside" the mesh container and you can select individual 3D Polygons, which is what I'm seeing in your screenshot.

Try exiting the Mesh (the button says Exit Group), then apply a texture to the overall Mesh itself. Vectorworks won't let you texture the internal 3D Polygons individually (though if it were necessary to do this, you could select the Mesh and explode it using the Modify > Convert > Convert to Group command.)