Vectorworks 2018 crashes when some files are opened

Glenn Jobson

Question

I have been working on a clients PC to try and resolve a specific Vectorworks issue. Vectorworks will open and create new files, open some existing files but there is some pattern of opening other recently opened and amended files that will now only cause Vectorworks to close.

When this occurs there is an Event Log entry that corresponds, detailing an Access Violation in vectorworks.exe (may be the incorrect file name as I am writing this from brief notes) with the code 0x00000005.

I know this is more or less a generic type of access violation message but I have been unable to isolate it any further, it just reliably happens with around 5 to 6 files that she has created from scratch.

I have uninstalled Vectorworks 2018 from the control panel, reinstalled and checked for the updates, it is up to date.

The PC is an Intel Core i7 5th Generation / 16GB RAM with an AMD HD 7800 graphics card (4GB), standard HDD (not SSD).

I have removed the anti virus software, only has Windows Security installed right now, checked for malware and the machine is totally clean. Typical CPU utilisation at idle is less than 5%, memory with no additional apps loaded is around 36% and disk utilisation is less than 2%. Windows 1909 and up to date.

If anyone can offer any advice, assistance or anecdotes that would be great....

Glenn

1 answer to this question

If there is a file that repeatably crashes, please send it to VW Tech Support so they can take a look and see if there is a problem with the file.

Trouble shooting something like this usually goes as follows:

Move or Rename the User Folder and restart VW. A new user folder will be created.

If still crashing then restore User Folder and reinstall VW.

If still crashing then remove user folder, and all VW preferences and reinstall.

Since this. is a Windows machine, I would make sure that the OS and Video Drivers are completely up to date before I messed with VW.