Extract tool

I have not seen any problem, but I don't use Extract a lot. 

It should see any 3D object. Make sure you have the correct Mode of the tool selected and that you click the green check mark in the Mode bar to complete the extract.

Can you post a sample file and explain what you are trying to extract?

@Pat Stanford Hi Pat thanks.

I use it to add texture to my walls. Here is an example.

Some wall it let me select it straight away, when i click on the GREEN TICK or type ENTER nothing happen.

Normally i should get a Planar Object, it's the first time i am having this issue.

Each time i am having a dialogue box Select Face, on other project i do not have this dialogue box when i use the Extract Tool.

Thanks for your help.

PLAN.vwx

Edited by vassen
Addition of comment

The Extract tool indeed seems to work intermittently in the file you posted. Not sure why...

But I'm not sure that you need to be extracting surfaces in the first place. I'd recommend selecting the Walls you'd like to texture and in the Render tab set the "Mode" to "By Object" rather than "By Component." That way you can simply choose the Left or Right side of the wall and apply the appropriate texture:

546183109_ScreenShot2020-05-14at12_39_56PM.thumb.png.88bd20bdde3ab04d238e68efb6011da4.png

Hopefully this helps, though I realize there might be other reasons why you need something different in your particular workflow.

• Like 1

@Andy Broomell Thank for your advice. The reason why i use the Extract tools for my texture is that i use several type texture on one facades.

I don't know if this file might have been corrupted of something like that, as am unable to use the PUSH/PULL tools sometime, even try to combine roof its not working hear, pffff 😞

• Like 1

I found two problems with your file.

1. The object is located a VERY long way from the drawing origin. About 171 KM. 

2. There is another wall about 365 KM the other direction.

Suggestion. Select All and Fit to Objects.  You will zoom WAY out.  Near the right edge you should see a pixel or two  of dark smudge. That is the extraneous wall. Click to deselect everything and then marquee select the smudge and Fit to Objects. If you don't need this wall delete it. If you do need it, Cut is too you can move it to where you want.

Repeat the above with the slightly larger black smudge near the left edge of the drawing. Zoom in. Group the object so you can use the OIP to move them to 0,0.

Now everything will be selectable with the Extract tool.

If you need your rulers to show the real world locations of the building, read up on using Georeferencing so that you can keep your objects close to the drawing origin while still displaying the real world location.

• Like 3

@Pat Stanford Hi Pat thanks you very much for your help.

I did select everything on my page and delete everything unuse around.

But i am still having the same issue with the Extract Tools and also sometime not able to use the push/pull tools.

For the Geo referencing i am not very use to it for the time being but i will surely come to use it often in the near future.

Thanks again.

The most important part is to move the objects closer to the 0,0 origin of the drawing. 

The simple version of what is happening is that effectively all operations in VW are done with a fixed set of numbers (billions or trillions or more). If you are close to the origin, then one "step" in the number might be 0.0000001mm. If you are 1000kM from the origin, then each step might be 10mm (these numbers are purely for example. The real numbers are much different). At a 10mm interval, if an edge of an object falls between the two steps then it might not be able to be selected properly.

It is very important to keep you model reasonably close to the drawing origin.

When I moved the walls in the file you sent to center on 0,0 I had no problem with the extract tool on any of them.

vassen sent me his complete file.  What I worked out was that it was best to move the model back to 0,0 using Top/Plan view and doing each layer one at a time.

Set Layer Options to Active Only.

Set Layer to Active.

Set View to Top/Plan

Select All

Modify Menu, Move.  The move values are sticky, so you can reuse them without having to reenter.

Repeat with next Layer.

Once all the layers are done the model will be sitting closer to the drawing origin and the Extract will work.

Since the objects have been moved, Viewports will have to be edited or recreated.

There is probably a way to move the Drawing Origin closer to the model instead, but this is the way I know will work.

• Like 1