2D Symbols/ Annotations

Hi, I use VW as a 2D drafting app, not BIM. With that said, we have office standard 2d symbols to tag equipment, that are page based, so the printing size remains consistent through out different scales.

I need to add leaders to those symbols to point out elements in the drawings. Is there a way in VW that leaders are added to 2D symbols, without the need to add a separate leader line? I would like to avoid grouping after the fact.

Also, I insert the symbols in the annotation viewport and, if for whatever reason we need to change the scale of the viewport, the fact that the leader is separate from the symbol makes them not adjust properly. See attached jpeg showing gap between symbol and leader.

I'm aware of the callout tool, that can create a similar symbol, but as it works right now, it leaves open a lot of user customization, vs using a 2d "locked" symbol. Also, it does not allow the leader and the wrap around the text to have a different line weight. Does the call out tool allow to add a custom wrap around the text, with a fixed length/ size?

Other option is to set up a label tool that is not ID related, and that will allow customizing the label format. Is that tool currently available in VW?

Thanks, 

Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 8.33.18 AM.png

If you are using VW2020 or even VW2019, take a look at the Data Tag tool. It can be used very similarly to a symbol but with text editable through the OIP and will handle leaders. 

And as a benefit, it you want, you can design tags that will only allow you to tag certain types of objects.

Hi all,
Indeed, the "Tag" tool is very interesting.
Calculations can even perform for the label display.
For example: the surface of the object multiplied by a database field.
For me, unfortunately, it lacks the implementation of the functions of spreadsheets that would best customize the labels.
Ditto for information objects (object function).
We have #AREA#, #PERIM#, #SURFAREA# but no #VOLUME# ...
I miss in my opinion.
Otherwise the tool is quite powerful!

I don't think the Data Tag was added until VW2019, but I am not certain.

For 2018, you might want to look into creating your objects with Marionette so that the leader can be part of the object.

Or even using the Parametric Constraints from the Dims/Notes palette to link a separate leader to your symbol.

Or adjust the way you work to use the Callout tool.

About the only options I can think of for 2018, but I have not had it installed in probably 24 months.